Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The Good Ol' Days!


THE OLD PATHS

I liked the old paths, when
Moms were at home.
Dads were at work.
Brothers went into the army.
And sisters got married BEFORE having children!

Crime did not pay;
Hard work did;
And people knew the difference.

Moms could cook;
Dads would work;
Children would behave..

Husbands were loving;
Wives were supportive;
And children were polite.

Women looked like ladies;
Men looked like gentlemen;
And children looked decent.

People loved the truth,
And hated a lie;
They came to church to get IN,
Not to get OUT!

Hymns sounded Godly;
Sermons sounded helpful;
Rejoicing sounded normal;
And crying sounded sincere.

Cursing was wicked;
Drinking was evil;
and divorce was unthinkable.

The flag was honored;
America was beautiful;
And God was welcome!

We read the Bible in public;
Prayed in school;
And preached from house to house
To be called an American was worth dying for;
To be called a Christian was worth living for;
To be called a traitor was a shame!

Sex was a personal word.
Homosexual was an unheard of word,
And abortion was an illegal word.

Preachers preached because they had a message;
And Christians rejoiced because they had the VICTORY!
Preachers preached from the Bible;
Singers sang from the heart;
And sinners turned to the Lord to be SAVED!

A new birth meant a new life;
Salvation meant a changed life;
Following Christ led to eternal life.

Being a preacher meant you proclaimed the word of God;
Being a deacon meant you would serve the Lord;
Being a Christian meant you would live for Jesus;
And being a sinner meant someone was praying for you!

Laws were based on the Bible;
Homes read the Bible;
And churches taught the Bible.

Preachers were more interested in new converts,
Than new clothes and new cars.
God was worshiped;
Christ was exalted;
and the Holy Spirit was respected.

Church was where you found Christians
on the Lord's day, rather than in the garden,
on the creek bank, on the golf course,
or being entertained somewhere else.

I still like the old paths the best !

( I have no clue as to who wrote this, but I love it!)

21 comments:

jennifer said...

Great! I love it too!

Professor Howdy said...

Thanks for visiting my blog today.
I really appreciate the work you are doing...

Rhonda said...

Sounds good to me? Why did anyone ever leave the Old Ways?
Truth be told, the Old Ways are kind of like His mercies, they are new every morning!
Dios te bendiga!

R

Don said...

I'm a friend of penless writer an follow your blog on occasion. I really like todays "old ways". Also was wondering status of your prayer request of a few weeks ago
1. friend in dangerous situation.
2.permit needed
3.son's passport
4. good word from goverment.
I'm trusting the lord has answered these request in a positive way and all is taken care of..
God bless your work and the daily dangers you face that we here in the states take for granted, never realizing what you missionaries live thru every day. It could be said that its "living on the edge" everyday...Don

Linds said...

That was the way I grew up. I LOVE this poem. I wonder who wrote it...

Jungle Mom said...

WOW! Don, I am so impressed you remember these requests. I appreciate it. I still can not say too much about them but,

1) Friends are still in a precarious situation but somewhat more secure
2) The permit was denied
3) Son's passport has not been released but we do have an edict from the Venezuelan Justice department demanding it to be submitted, however, in Venezuela that could be a while yet, if ever.
4) NO word on the government paper needed and the situation is very complicated.
So, you can see we still need prayer! THANKS!!!

Julie's Jewels said...

That is a great post!!! I enjoyed reading it. We certainly do live in a different world don't we?

Momma Roar said...

AMEN - that is what I like about my small town life, some of those things can still be found!
Wonderful poem, thank you for sharing!

Pam said...

I remember how I fell in love with this poem the first time I read it. I printed it out to keep as a reminder. I want my boys to be able to identify with it!

Mountain Mama said...

Ah yes! Those were the days. Thanks for sharing a beautiful poem. It's good to be reminded. Much of our world today has left this way of life far behind.
I'd like to see a re-run!

I want to thank you for your prayers for baby Ethan. It means so much to all of his family knowing that there are people all over the world who care and pray for him.
God bless.

Pat said...

How aptly said!!

We do need to remember the "Old days"....

CONNIE'S THOUGHTS FROM THE HEART said...

This is the generation I came from. Sadly, I took it all for granted thinking it would always be that way.I think it will never return and I am so sorry some will never know how it felt to live that way. Thanks, for sharing that, It meant a lot to me. connie from Texas

Abouna said...

Jungle Mom: Whoever wrote "The Old Paths" was right on. That is how it was when I was growing up.

Back then, "Pot" was something we cooked in; "Grass" was what I had to mow every weekend during the summer months; the "Pill" was a crabby English teacher back in high school.

~Ginger said...

Amen, and love abouna's comments, too!

Rebecca said...

AMEN!

Beach Girl said...

Very cool.

And back then, the song for the Flintstones TV show had the line in it that went something like "We'll have a gay old time." That was when it meant happy.

Vanessa

sarah said...

You guys must be older than 150yrs!

javagirl1111 said...

Oh, i love this so much!!! I've heard it before too, I'm trying to think of where!?

Janie said...

This was a great post. I am old enough to remember!

Happymama said...

Wow, I love it too!!

~Kristi

Don said...

Thanks for the update of prayer request. Will continue to keep these things in my prayers trusting GOD will respond in a positive way to meet them.. Don