Wednesday, May 02, 2007

My Kind of Plane!




I have had to land on a few dirt airstrips in the jungle where this would have been handy! This is for all my pilot friends that read but don't comment! I know you are out there! I see you on my site meter! So have a laugh on me.

I remember landing in standing water on the airstrip in CaƱo Colorado ! That was my first "marginal" landing!

WooHoo!

Then we had to get out and push the plane back from the trees we nearly hit. We missed them by about 6 feet. Which is not much when moving down a short airstrip ,losing control, as you hydroplane over the standing water!

And Daryl , remember the landing in the mud at Cacari!? We had to dodge the water buffalo! Once there, we had to unload one plane and change to another. This required laying down in the mud to load the pod! The rest of us stood in the rain laughing! With red mud up to our ankles. But you and Clint had mud all over your backs and even in your hair!!!

Then we had to fly to Puerto Ordaz all muddy, as we walked through Macro, to buy supplies for everyone else in Puerto Ayacucho and everyone looked at us so strangely!

Good times!

19 comments:

Penless Thoughts said...

You are one brave soul, Rita!!!

Pat said...

Always up for an adventure aren't ayll??

Sounds l;iek fun!!

Pam said...

Sis, I am ashamed of you talking "dirty" on your blog! *winks*

Abouna said...

Luv that plane. Where can I get one? Many years ago, I began taking flying lessons and I was doing great on everything except landing. For some reason, I kept freezing up when it came to landing, so that ended the lessons.

Pam said...

Cute Toy!

Melissa Lea said...

That is one cool plane!

NspiredByFaith said...

That plane definatly looks ready for an "off road" landing!

Pam said...

Oh did I ever tell you? One of my desires is to learn to pilot a plane!

Jackie said...

Love it! I've always wanted to know why the airplane coudln't be made out of the same material as the Indestructable Black Box...?

PortraitofPeter said...

I do think that after reading this "frightening" post.

I have decided that you can have one of my pipes - to smoke on future flights!!!

jennifer said...

This made my kids role in laughter!
BTW check the caption contest winners!

American Crusader said...

That plane is going to need a lot of lift if it plans on getting in the air. I think parachuting might be safer.

Heather said...

yikes.... sounds like you've had some pretty scary awfully close calls!

Joe Gringo said...

Now that's a plane!

If I ever get to Venezuela, I've got to get together with you and the family and talk about your life experiences......very adventurous!

RealEstateGirl said...

Yikes! I HATE to fly in any kind of plane on a "real" runway...much less those conditions!!!!

The Lord said "LOW" I am with you always!!! (ha ha! my interpretation *wink* *wink*)

Jungle Mom said...

Joe, you would be very welcome I am sure!

WomanHonorThyself said...

I once once on a small plane in Colorado for a ski trip..that was scarey girl!..lol

Rancher said...

Is that a mail plane? Looks plenty macho.

groovyoldlady said...

Does it have enough power to even take off with those huge wheels?