Sunday, June 14, 2009

The evil deed is done!


We put the kids on their flight this morning at 5 AM and they should be in Lima right now. They were excited to find out there is a Dunkin Donuts at the airport in Lima. They will have another layover in Bogata and then, on to Miami where they will spend the night. 16 hours in transit.

Then they rent a car, head to my son and his wife's place in the Tampa Bay Area for a visit with all the family there, before heading to New Hampshire where they will be based for their furlough. (Most missionaries serve on the field for 4 years and then take a 1 year furlough stateside. During the year they travel extensively reporting to the churches what has been accomplished on the field during their term. It is also a time to further your studies and re- connect with family. It is NOT a year long vacation!)

Please keep them in your prayers today as it is no fun traveling so far with two toddlers!

10 comments:

Brenda said...

Words can't express how sorry I am for you.

May God fill the emptiness you feel right now with something wonderful.

Mrs. C said...

It's not a year-long vacation? LOL, I don't think anybody thinks that. Travelling church to church and giving the same talk Sunday after Sunday has to be tiring. And you'd have your children having to be "good" while travelling and being guests...

No, I don't think anyone is envious. Though I do think in some ways it's probably wonderful for them to go to the US for the year. :]

Findalis said...

They will be in my prayers as you and hubby are.

rakyatindonesia said...

hola .. Soy de Indonesia. lo siento, mi español es malo idioma. Me gusta tu artículo. Su artículo es bueno. y quiero ser tu amigo. Si las dificultades en el lenguaje que puede utilizar google traductor para traducir mi post.amigos.

indo-online said...

Ya ver tu blog y he leído su artículo. Su artículo es bueno, me gusta esto y espero que quieras visitar mi blog y dejar tu comentario.

The Hermit said...

That's a tough trip. I hope it goes well for them and they don't have any trouble along the way.

Kathy said...

Yes, we'll be praying--all year long! Keep us updated on what they're up to! Glad they can have some real donuts on the trip! I haven't been to the Lima airport, but have been to the Bogota airport where the bathrooms only have one toilet roll dispenser for all the stalls! You have to estimate how much you will need. The girls might find this fun! There are no donuts, but we did find nice food and nice shopping! The last time we were there the men and women were separated from each other (so I wasn't with my translating husband) and we were thoroughly patted down--and I mean everywhere! Then a young fellow asked me to open my purse, and I asked him to please repeat in English. He froze and looked startled. My Spanish isn't very good, but I did understand the other fellow who elbowed him and said, "Why didn't you study English in school you "idioto?!" He then waved me on! :) Well, please tell the kids they'll be in our thoughts and prayers! (Tell Jackie to eat a peanut butter Twix in my behalf!)

Joy said...

I know you are going to miss them all. That's a lot of traveling for one year.
I'm hoping they will be able to visit my dad's church in FL at some point during their trip.


Joy

Barbara H. said...

I know it will be hard to be apart for a year, especially after having time together since you've been to Paraguay. I hope they have a blessed and fruitful furlough ministry.

Susan said...

Being away from family is probably the hardest part of being in the ministry for me. I am now beginning to feel what my parents have felt as each of their children have gone away! Amen to furlough (and deputation) not just being a long vacation! LOL