Monday, July 13, 2009

Fingerprinting



The first time I had my finger prints taken was in Venezuela when I applied for my first national identity card. I remember doing so begrudgingly because in my mind only criminals were finger printed.

It's a messy job. They role a thick, black, tar like ink across your fingers and sometimes, even your whole palm for a complete hand print. They will next roll each finger tip, one direction, onto cards which have boxes labeled as to which finger print is being recorded. After this is done, in most places, you are expected to be able to miraculously clean this gunk from your hands without staining anyone or anything.



My husband had previously been finger printed by the Marine Corps for a security clearance and he only laughed at my disdain in having to have my finger prints taken.

After that first experience with finger printing, I became quite used to the process. By now I have been finger printed more times than I can recall. I must have my prints all over the place. I am just glad that I have never been required to give my foot print or ear print like some European countries require! People speak of the US draconian immigration laws, they ought to see what it is like to immigrate other places!

The Venezuelan government has my prints on file (paper) and also digitally as I had to have them scanned the last few times they took them. The FBI has them. Interpol has them. The Paraguayan National Police has them.

I am now an expert on the process! I make sure to take my own liquid soap and wash clothes for the clean up and am never surprised when asked to be finger printed.

In Venezuela finger printing was required for just about any thing, it seemed! Even voting.

What about you? Have you ever been finger printed?

11 comments:

Sis. Tammy said...

Yes, I've been fingerprinted. We had been in England for only 4 months and our home was broken into. Needless to say, we had to call a family in the church to find out how to call the police! LOL How pathetic is that. Anyway, they dusted the window where he got in and left his marks, but we both needed to be printed so they would know who's was who's. I indeed felt like the criminal. What a mess!!!

Betty W said...

Yes. For my cédula, for my passport, drivers license, and for voting! Seems pretty normal to me...

Findalis said...

I was fingerprinted when I joined the US Air Force (a couple of times then), and my last employer did it to reinstate my Security Clearance.

It is no big deal.

Brooke said...

I was fingerprinted once, when joining the Army.

I can't fathom getting used to it.

Webutante said...

I believe I've been fingerprinted, but actually can't remember what for. I wonder if that's possible? It wasn't for criminal activity though.

Interesting post, Rita.

Kathy said...

Yes, I was fingerprinted some years ago when it became a requirement for teachers. I believe they did have some wipes for us to clean our fingers off afterwards! :) This was in Virginia. I never knew there were so many other times one could be fingerprinted!

Anonymous said...

Yep. For my security clearance in the Marines. For my pilots license, my firearms license, and for background checks as a teacher. Also for my passports and my concealed carry permit. But the weirdest one was when I took a check in to cash at a bank, and they made me put a thumb print right on the check!

Dawn said...

I know I have, but can't remember when or why - maybe for a passport??

Brenda said...

I have been fingerprinted many times, but when I did it for the state of California in order to substitute teach, they told me my fingerprints has worn off from too much quilting! I had to repeat it 3 times!!!

MightyMom said...

my driver's license and my nursing license both require fingerprints.


I don't tell about any "other" times!!

;-)

Rebecca said...

I was fingerprinted for a nursing liscense in Nevada and for part of our dossier for adopting little Alaina.