Saturday, January 03, 2009

For my sister...

My sister tagged me for this meme. (Midnight Musings)

Open your document or picture folders. Choose your 6th folder, then choose your 6th picture. Post the photo with a description about it.


Josh, Jungle Mom, and Jackie
1989
This was taken on a long layover at the Miami International Airport as we returned to Venezuela after our first furlough.

This would have been the first trip my son, Josh, made to the US. He learned to speak English on that trip. His T shirt is from Colonia Tovar which is a German colony in Venezuela. He never knew there were so many 'gringos' in the world!

Jackie (Keepin' Sane with Littles) had been to the states before but only as an infant. She was impressed when she watched TV at her Aunt Pam's and saw The Flintstones. She came running out to tell me, "Pedro (Fred) learned English!"

She also had never seen a bath tub and was very afraid of the draining water. She thought she would go down as well. She had a bit of shock in the grocery store as we entered the cereal aisle, she broke out in tears and said,"Everything is imported. It will be too expensive to buy!" This was because the imported cereal in Venezuela was very expensive and I always told her we could not afford to buy it. She must have thought we would go hungry in the US because to her mind, everything was imported.

My husband calls this my Princess Di picture as he says I resemble her Princess Diana in this photo.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember Colonia Tovar! Great bread, German Chocolate Forest cake and rhubarb pie...

Anonymous said...

A little slice of Germany in the middle of Venezuela.

I wonder how long before Hugo "nationalizes" it.

McCoy Farm said...

You DO look like Princess Di!! Neat story!

Rita Loca said...

FJ, thanks ! I added your link to the post. We loved to go there at Christmas as it was always so beautifully decorated and on the cool side!

Elephantschild said...

When my family went stateside on furlough in 1982-3, my one brother would not eat mint choc. chip ice cream because my uncle had brought it out in a 5-quart bucket. Never having had seen green ice cream nor ice cream in that big a bucket, no one could convince him that it wasn't PAINT.

And you DO look like Princess Di! Love the acid-washed skirt, too. Go '80s!

Liz said...

Hehehe.. loved the stories of your children! the first time I stepped into a gringo supermarket I also had troubles in the cereal aisle (too many, to much info for my venezuelan brain!).

That hairdo looks great on you!

Unknown said...

When we took our first furlough in 2008, we drove up through Mexico into Texas. One of my daughters said, "WOW! The roads are so SMOOTH in Texas!"

Neat pic! Radical skirt. ;o)

Betty said...

You do resemble Princess Di! Nice memories, right? Where have the days gone....

Dawn said...

He's right - you do have that shy look of Lady Di in that picture.

I haven't been over to visit for such a long time. I had to make my blog private because of a had situation. It is awkward for me to have to ask people if they would like to visit my site. But if you're interested in doing so, just send me your e-address to dawn.carlson@colostate.edu so that I can send you an invitation. I've missed visiting you!

MightyMom said...

so what's my excuse for being overwhelmed in the cereal aisle??

:-)


love the pic into the JM fam past.

thanks

MightyMom said...

in regards to the topic at Garbanzo Toons

I've not dealt with Riggs, but I used to work at this hosp and have friends with kiddos that have gone through their Dyslexia program....you might find this stuff beneficial.

http://www.tsrhc.org/default.asp?contentID=279

It's not far from my house....(well compared to Paraguay) so if you need help picking something up for shipping let me know.

Rita Loca said...

Dawn,
I have tried several times to email you and it gets bounced back. Sometimes my email ,being from Paraguay ends up as spam.

Unknown said...

I left you a comment about this photo on your Facebook posting of it. Who knew my sister was Princess Diana!
The kiddos look so adorable. I remember shedding many tears when you would pack them up to leave us!

Pilar said...

This is so funny! I imagine it is the way my youngest will be when we go to the States on furlough. I visit yours and your daughter's (I just found out is is your daughter) often. Deanna Andrews recommended both to me.
I went to Venezuela in a mission trip with some ladies from our church. We went to Colonia Tovar, Carabobo (to the Velasquez's church), Caracas, Maracaibo and a camp (can't remember the name of the place... Barquisimeto???... it was the Witherell's camp). We worked in the kitchen so the Venezuelan ladies could enjoy fully. It was a blessing and an experience.

Pilar said...

ups, I meant yours and your daughters blog.... I will blame it in my "I don't speak english very well" excuse.. ha!

Anonymous said...

I will pass on your article introduced to my other friends, because really good!
Other Net