Friday, November 28, 2008

Because You Asked..

Kath said...

Wow! What an experience! When you left, how many of those particular villagers were Christians? How blessed you were to be able to be there and help them in so many ways. Were any of your younger children born there? If so, did you leave the jungle to give birth? Again, all I can say is Wow! Enjoy your Thanksgiving today with your family who is with you! You have such good stories to tell the next generation!

Jungle Mom says,
The village grew in population while we were there from 350 to 515. The church had around 250 members and another 100 or so who attended, but had not been baptized. Two of my children were born in Venezuela but I had them in a clinic in the city of Barquisimeto. My oldest daughter was a year old when we arrived in Venezuela and my youngest was born stateside during a furlough.

firepig said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Today I am cooking for all.

Was the yuca served wet in big vats?
Your description is amazing.It must have been tough at first.I hate to see children in any stage of neglect.Did they also eat Chiguire ?Were dantas plentiful?

Jungle Mom says,
We ate yucca in may ways, boiled, fried, baked, mashed.... We also ate chiguire and in our area there were a lot of dantas. The villages set off certain areas only for hunting and no one may live there because they all depend on hunting for survival. Tapirs are not as common as the smaller game. We mostly ate capybera.



KA said...

Happy thanksgiving!

hmm what does tapir taste like?

Jungle Mom says,
Tapir is referred to as the jungle cow. It tastes like a very lean beef except for the hump on the back which more like pork. The fat of this hump is used for flavoring just like fat back from a pig
.


Shane Rios said...
Hey at least you had food right?

Jungle mom says,
Exactly!



MightyMom said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

and tomorrow I want to read all about the first Thanksgiving in Paraguay!! :-)


Jungle Mom says,
I will try and write about it this weekend. It was great and I have pictures, but have a lot of work to do before I can sit down and write about it.


Delete
Anonymous Tapir Blog said...

So, an endangered species for the main course for Thanksgiving... what a way to celebrate *sigh*




Jungle Mom says,


14 comments:

Siberia Tom said...

Dear Rita I just made Diana read your blog. She is asking me if you eat Chiggers. I had to laugh. She has been reading Russian in Cyrillic script so the Capybara confused her. Oh btw she spelled all the hard words in this paragraph for me.

I think you will get comments on the neat picture at the end. I do like that graphic.

Webutante said...

Hey Rita. Just wanted to stop by and say Happy Thanksgiving a day late. Thinking of you and your family as you spend your first holiday season in a new country with your daughter and her family. How fortunate and blessed you all are! Love to all.

Rita Loca said...

Siberia Tom, Mostly, the chiggers ate us!!!!

Liz said...

hehehe, very funny the last pict!!!

Betty said...

I like the last pic!
Do you ever get out of the pool these days??

Anonymous said...

Great questions. I wish I had that many questions from my readers. Haha.

Christopher Hamilton
The Right Opinion, for the Right Wing

MightyMom said...

love it!

so, should I go to Christopher Hamilton's blog and ask him a bunch of questions??

will he ANSWER the questions I'd ask???

teeheeheehee

Christopher...ever heard the phrase "be careful what you pray for"?????

:-)

groovyoldlady said...

Ok...the last one made me laugh out loud!!!

I like this one too, "I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals; I'm a vegetarian because I hate vegetables!"

Susan said...

Love your last answer! LOL

I was blessed also by the answer to the first question. A village of 515 with a church membership of 250, with another 100 attending, is fantastic. If we had that percentage in our town coming to church, we would have an attendance of over 88,000! We have 25. Wow.

Gayle said...

LOL! I love that picture "Vegetarian - Old Indian word for bad hunter." Speaking of hunting, I'm going to be hunting wild hogs. They're running all over our property destroying stuff. I'm going to snag that picture!

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving! :)

MathewK said...

Happy thanks giving JM.

Z said...

I just read your other post about your first Thanksgiving in the jungle. I will say this (probably again and again) once more..You ARE a saint.

Fantastically funny line about vegeterians and hunting, JM! Really good.

I hope you had a blessed Thanksgiving and want you to know that if I had to eat an animal as ugly as that tiger, or whatever it was called, I'd be a vegeterian, too! (LOL!)

I guess a cow looks pretty darned ugly to someone who hasn't seen one before, too!?

Findalis said...

Love that last picture.

Baptist Girl said...

HAPPY THANKSGIVINGS TO YOU ALL!

Cristina