Friday, November 21, 2008

Share an International Recipe

Yesterday a friend from Spain sent me a Peruvian recipe I have been anxious to receive.


Deanna said...Here's the recipe for the Papa la Huancaina you asked for:

queso fresco 400 gramos
leche 1 taza
aji - 2 cucharaditas
galleta soda - 3
aceite - un chorrito
sal - al gusto

Put all in blender and blend til smooth. Add more milk til of good consistency. Pour over boiled, cooled, peeled and sliced potatoes that are sitting on a lettuce leaf. Adorn with black olives and hard boiled eggs.

And I found this Paraguayan recipe on a friend's blog.
Betty lives here in Paraguay in the Chaco!



Chipa

2 eggs
300 gr. cheese
1/2 c. oil
1 c. milk
1 tsp. salt

Put these ingredients into a blender and mix well.

1. Then pour this liquid into a bowl and add 2 tsp. baking powder and enough corn starch to make a dough to form little balls. Bake them in a moderately hot oven, until golden brown.
This is one variety.
or
2. Add 2 tsp. baking powder and enough corn starch to make a dough that you can still pour. Then I pour the dough into my mini muffin tins and bake them until golden brown.
These chipa will be a little softer.



This is a photo I took at a soccer game. This is the common way to transport chipa. In the evenings the vendors are at every intersection selling the fresh chipa. Quite amazing the way they carry it around on their heads!

Do you have a favorite international recipe you would like to share with us?

18 comments:

MightyMom said...

does meatloaf count? I mean to YOU it would be international right?? :-) how about brisket and potato salad??

MathewK said...

Looks pretty good JM.

Sis. Julie said...

I still can't find you on Facebook...if you can give me your email address I can try it that way. That is the only way I was able to find my best friend. I don't know why I have such a hard time finding my friends on there. I knew there was going to be a lot of Julie Browns but I didn't know any other way to find you...LOL!!

But we'll hook up on there somehow!!

firepig said...

Thanks for the recipes.What kind of cheese do you use for the egg dish?

I cook without recipes usually so I can't send any but I might recommend that for Thanksgiving,many folks do not like the super sweet, sweet potato dishes that are so traditional( at least here in the South) so I also serve a Venezuelan dish along side it for an alternative, called Machuca; only instead of 'machucando' auyama, I use sweet potato.It is a savory dish- and is mashed like white potatoes but with the addition of finely chopped onions,plus sweet green and red peppers.

Everybody loves it- and like the best recipes, is quite simple.

Betty said...

Thanks for sharing my recipe on your blog. I would like to add to that recipe that if you use less cheese it will be better. Or use cheese that is pretty "coarse" and not too fatty.

Liz said...

Rita, I've eaten papas a la huancaina, love them! In fact I love all peruvian food!

How do you get the yellow color?

Gayle said...

Do I have to carry them around on my head when they're done? ;)

As I'm a dump cook, it's pretty hard for me to write a recipe. I don't actually measure anything.

Thursday's Child said...

Those look yummy! And fattening. (The best kind!)

Brooke said...

I'm like Gayle. I just throw stuff together.

That food you pictured looks to die for!

Deanna said...

Firepig..
I just noticed your comment about what cheese to use for the papa la huancaina. It's actually called fresh cheese or you can use philadelphia cream cheese just as well. Enjoy!

firepig said...

Thanks Deanna!

Liz,I also wonder about the yellow color.I love this dish and have eaten it in the home of Peruvian friends.

Rita Loca said...

Firepig and Liz, I'm trying to find out about the coloring.
BTW, Deana's parent were missionaries in Valencia for several years.

Anonymous said...

Looks like some good food. I always enjoyed trying exotic food when I was traveling. Sometimes I ate things that I would not have tried, had I known beforehand what they were!

Starla said...

It all looks like good food.

Brenda said...

Papa a la Huancaina is one of my families all time favorite foods. YUM!

Deanna said...

The Papa la Huancaina sauce turns yellow because of the pepper.
The aji is actually an orange pepper and mixed with the milk in the recipe, it turns yellow. = )

Anonymous said...

cant wait to try these!!!

Christie said...

THANK YOU THANK YOU! I am trying to adjust to the different foods I'm finding in the stores here, and I was quite disappointed that the restaurants here don't serve Papas Huancainas here. I'll be trying this one soon. And my husband is a chipa fan, big time. He'll be quite surprised that his American woman is cooking him some chipas! :) Hope to meet you soon.