Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Sweep away the Flaws


The broom pictured in my post yesterday does indeed serve it's intended purpose. It is mainly used as an outdoor broom to clean patios and yards. I have noticed that Paraguayans tend to keep a very neat yard even when they live in a humble home.

While mentioning this to my neighbor, she shared a Guarani 'wives tale' with me. It seems that the mothers and grand mothers are always telling the young girls to do a thorough sweeping of the yard, porch, and house.

This sweeping needs to be done in a methodical, meticulous manner because it will effect the future of the young lady. A girl needs to be extremely cautious while sweeping so as not to leave behind any litter or dust bunnies because each one left behind represents a flaw in her future husband.

So a lazy, careless girl will undoubtedly end up married to a man with many character flaws, where as a diligent girl will find herself betrothed to a nearly flawless man.

No wonder my neighbor's daughter gets up early and sweeps the yard almost every day. Even the sidewalk! Her husband will certainly be a saint! Personally, I am not so sure I would enjoy being married to a perfect man. I would probably leave a few dust bunnies just to make sure my future husband had a little 'rascal' left in him!

15 comments:

Rosie Cochran said...

So Clint only has a little bit of rascal left in him??? :-)

Betty said...

hahaha, me too! :)
I never knew this, but have noticed that Paraguayan´s love a clean yard.
Our workers at the ranch do this too, but they say it´s so that when there are snakes crawling around, they can see them better.

Joy said...

That is a good story to go along with the broom. I think the "rascal factor" is definitely there in Buster. :)
That's alright. I'm with you.


Joy

Anonymous said...

That must be how my wife got me. She should have been more meticulous in her sweeping.

MaMa Vaughn said...

funny!!

firepig said...

cute post!

Hatless in Hattiesburg said...

Years ago, on mission trips near Juarez Mexico*, my mom noticed the same kind of meticulous yard (a.k.a. packed dirt) sweeping. I don't think she ever found out the reasons for it.

map link http://tinyurl.com/lwvxwm

Always On Watch said...

So a lazy, careless girl will undoubtedly end up married to a man with many character flaws, where as a diligent girl will find herself betrothed to a nearly flawless man.

There's something to that, I suppose.

But, personally, I would find a flawless man boring. LOL.

Kathy said...

Well, that is a good way to get your daughter to do her chores! :)

Anonymous said...

Does Yekwana Man know that? LOL!

Brenda said...

I've heard that saying, they use it to tease each other a lot also. Some smart mother way back when came up with a good idea when she started teaching her daughters that ;)

The Local Malcontent said...

So, what happens when a male has to ... oh never mind.
I don't want to go there.

Cute story, and I so appreciate hearing ones like these!

Brooke said...

That's one way to get your kid to do those chores! LOL!

Rebecca said...

Perhaps I can adapt this story to Guatemala and convince Alaina of it when she is older!

MightyMom said...

oh what a funny wive's tale!