Thursday, October 09, 2008

Personal Update

Today my husband had the privilege of translating for an American Reserve Marine Colonel (Ret.). They were able to give out 180 Bibles to Paraguayan Air Force enlisted men. Thirty of the men said they had never owned a Bible, some had never even held one!

Then they met with the Commanding General of the Paraguayan Air Force. While waiting to be ushered in to see him, my husband informed the Marine that he was nervous to be on a military base. The Col. asked him why, to which my husband replied, that the last time he was on a military base in South America (Venezuela) he was being 'detained'! Of course then he had to explain the circumstances.

The Commanding General was pleased to accept a Bible as well. A Major who attends our church here had already been having Bible discussions with him. The General was pleasant and they were invited to lunch on the base. The Paraguayan Major is interested in having my husband begin working with the men on base giving marriage seminars and counseling. This is a great open door as these men are from all over the country and will return to their home towns when discharged.

And where was I during all this? Getting a manicure! I know, it's a tough job, but somebody has to do it! I had a wonderful opportunity to chat with the girl, who works out of her home across the street from me, and I think she will be visiting church with me soon. Oh! And the mani/pedi cost me $4.50!

This weekend my husband and son in law will be traveling to Ciudad del Este and speaking at a church there. We are excited to begin the process of getting to know our new home better . It is always rewarding to find an area of need and be able to help in some way.

Please pray for us as we endeavor to serve the Lord here in this country.

17 comments:

redneck preacher said...

I would guess your hubby was pretty thrilled. Thank you for sharing this victory.

manicure?
hmmm

HTOITA

MightyMom said...

hhhmmmm, sounds like a rough life you live! dinner at the officer's club or a manicure?? tough choice!

Thursday's Child said...

Wow!

Rebecca said...

Praise the Lord! What a wonderful opportunity!

Tori Leslie said...

Wow that's a pretty cool thing to be a part of. I can't imagine giving a Bible to someone who has never had one. WOW!

Oh and a manicure/pedi, I'm jealous, and 4.50, that's robbery!

Enjoy getting to know your home.

Betty said...

I´m glad to hear you are finding your place in this country!
Many blessings is my wish for you!

Anonymous said...

I wonder what kind of aircraft they operate? Did your husband see any helicopters. Lots of those countries use Russian equipment.

Brooke said...

How cool!

Charles said...

What a great mission field this can be.

Endless opportunity

Jane said...

How wonderful. What a thrill to share the Word with those who have never had a Bible. God bless your ministry there.
BTW, the cost of the manicure...do you really think missionaries should be spending their money so foolishly??? I DO hope you know that I am KIDDING! Enjoy. You certainly deserve it in my book!

Anonymous said...

Gotta love a country where a major has ongoing discussions with the commanding general.

If I'm not mistaken, their most advanced aircraft is the MB-326, the rough equivalent of an F-86 Sabre. They're subsonic, but useful in engagements with other third world nations.

Kimberly said...

Wonderful, on both accounts! Glad to hear you are both beginning to feel at home.

Unknown said...

Such wonderful welcoming news in the midst of this ugly political season! Thanks for this uplifting testimony.

Pastor Erik DiVietro said...

And you really need to change the look of your blog. I know this guy who does CSS and can make it look wicked spiffy (ok, so it's me...but I digress).

CaraqueƱa said...

So...am I correct in assuming that you will eventually be moving to Ciudad del Este? How long will that be? I think you'll be closer to us then...maybe...

Rita Loca said...

Pastor erik,
email me!

Rita Loca said...

Cara, It is a possibility, but not for a couple of years.