Friday, February 22, 2008

The day the Moon crashed into the Sun


Last nights lunar eclipse reminded me of a solar eclipse we experienced while in the jungle.

One day, the sky became darker and darker. Actually a slight greenish tint appeared on everything. I had the children look up eclipses in the World Book Encyclopedia and we realized we were witnessing a solar eclipse.

We got out my husbands welding mask and some x rays to look through, and all went outside to watch the eclipse.

As the sky darkened and the shape of the moon became visible in front of the sun we found ourselves joined by most of the village. They were all very nervous about what was happening and seemed surprised that we were not! Not even our children.

In my very limited Ye'kwana, I tried to explain what was happening and why we did not need to fear it. The old chief, Bertico, arrived very flustered! We put the mask on him and he yelled out,

"Why is the moon crashing into the sun?!?!?!"

10 comments:

WomanHonorThyself said...

awwwwwwwww..what a sweet reaction!

Mountain Mama said...

Isn't that precious? Like the innocence of a child really.
No wonder you have so enjoyed working with these people.

Joyce said...

Just found your site tonight and I love missionaries so I couldn't help but take a peek and see what you all are doing! I loved your blog and your humor!
Keep it up in the jungle!!
Be blessed,
Joyce

MightyMom said...

imagine the mess and noise from that!

Webutante said...

Another lovely story.....wasn't the lunar eclipse the other night the best! Without a doubt it was the most stunning I've ever seen, as the clouds came and went!

The Merry Widow said...

We were being rainned on! I was seriously bummed!
I'll bet that was the talk of the village for a long time...and I'll bet the villagers were impressed by y'alls lack of fear.
Good morning, G*D bless and Maranatha!

tmw

Rebecca said...

That's funny.

Anonymous said...

Hi dear friend. Sorry I have not been around for a bit. I backed off from blogging for a bit. I'm just starting to get back into it more.

Life is good and God is faithful.

I looked out my window and saw the beautiful full moon, but missed the eclipse.

Thanks for stopping by and saying hello.

Anonymous said...

Saw this today and couldn't help thinging of you...
http://www.cybersalt.org/cw/bppersonalfaith.htm

There's a lot of truth spoken here.

Charles said...

Wasn't it beautiful?


Great photo BTW