Thursday, February 14, 2008

Yearnings


Sitting in a dugout,
Gliding down a river,
Looking upwards to the blue sky,
White, wispy clouds breezing by,
Tall jungle trees,
Pointing high!

Close my eyes,
Feel the tropical sun upon my skin,
Humidity in the air, cool water against my hand,
Dangling fingers swim in the green, brown river,
A soft mist sprays upon my brow,
Cooling water!

The jungle permeates,
Earthy, damp and musty,
A thousand years old!
The smell of a storm coming this way,
Sweet, sour, a bit of decay,
Jungle smells!

Listen! Listen!
What do you hear?
The cry of a majestic macaw,
The wind moves the leaves of the palms,
The water gurgles as it ripples,
Quiet sounds!

The sights of home,
The feel of home,
Familiar smells,
The sounds that call me home,
I hear the beckoning and I long to return,
Winding river, take me home!

12 comments:

Sarah Joy said...

Not just an image, that gave me sight, sound, touch, and smell! That is wonderful!

Unknown said...

Rita, did you write this? You sound so homesick! Sorry, Wish I could help.
Hope you had a good Valentine's Day!

Rita Loca said...

Pam, yes, I wrote it. Not so great as far as poetry goes, but, it was how i was feeling.

Gayle said...

I think it's wonderful, but I hope you will get over being homesick. You were so wise to leave when you did.

Blessings!

Rita Loca said...

gayle,
I am reading a book right now, written by a jungle MK and it made me a bit nostalgic.

WomanHonorThyself said...

awwwwwwwwwwww I'm there!

Liz said...

Well, my dear Rita, I'm sending you
-a bit of warmth,
-some humid climate,
-the macaws sound (every single -morning and afternoon, even here in a full of buildings Caracas),
-the flowers that grow wild in any piece of land,
-the mangoes that will grow later from said flowers,
-the aroma of venezuelan coffee
-unas arepas con quesito de mano (calienticas!)
and a bear hug for being the perfect 'venezolana re-encauchada'!!

Rita Loca said...

Liz, Gracias amiga por entenderme!

Jackie said...

Oh dear Liz...send me some of that good stuff as well!!

Liz said...

for Jackie:
-the cry of the 'cristofué'(I see lots of them in the morning, as a wait the school bus with my son)
-the red color of the cayena flower
-cachapas calienticas!
-un café de esos que se cuelan en manga
-lots of venezuelan love for the little girls

and yes... more hugs!!

marine's words said...

wow! your friend Liz said it so well I could smell the coffee.
I am sorry your so home sick I' ve been there done that and there is no place like home I understand .Blessing my friend.marina

Anonymous said...

Rita, I'm a lurker who just wanted to tell you that I love your blog! Your political posts inspire me.
Much love from a sister in Christ,
Jen (Pinky)
www.cheeseinmyshoe.blogspot.com