Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Feeling at home !

Yesterday morning I watched some Paraguayan news coverage and found myself hearing the newly elected president, Lugo, informing us of an alleged meeting which took place Sunday night. It is said that the ex-candidates and a General, met to discuss plans to over throw the new government, only two weeks in power.

It is all being denied, of course, and we certainly do not support any illegal take over of a democratically elected government!

But I must admit, after all my years of living in Venezuela and listening to Hugo Chavez, almost weekly, denounce supposed planned coups and assassination attempts against him...hearing all this intrigue on the television made me feel quite at home!

When there are talks of coups in the air, you just know your back in South America!

Now, all I need is a whiff of tear gas and a few tanks rumbling down the road...

El presidente paraguayo, Fernando Lugo, denunciĆ³ hoy, dos semanas despuĆ©s de asumir el poder, un proyecto para desestabilizar su Gobierno planeado por su antecesor, Nicanor Duarte, y el general retirado Lino Oviedo.
SOURCE.

14 comments:

Rancher said...

Viva la revolution! Nothing like tear gas to clear the sinus.

Betty said...

LOL! How right you are! Good thing you see the humorous side....

Brooke said...

Nothing like a little cloak-and-dagger to put you at ease, eh? ;)

Rita Loca said...

Well, I wouldn't want to be bored!

Liz said...

Hi Rita! I'm sort off on vacations
:D

I do not like Lugo.. his name sounds like Hugo!! and he's beginning to act the part...

Anonymous said...

Be a shame if you got down there and got all set up in your nice place, and then everything blew up into chaos!

Melissa Lea said...

I so hope you will not have to go thru or experience any of the things you did in Chavez Country. And I am with Liz....Lugo sounds like Hugo!

I hope you have a wonderful day!

Rita Loca said...

Liz, Hope all is well. I hear you are having a lot of power outages these days.

Rita Loca said...

It's calm here, just a lot of smoke and mirrors.

Findalis said...

True coups are never talked about. They just happen. You will only hear about them after the event. That's why listening to Chavez is so much fun. There are coups every day with him.

Harry said...

Here a coup, there a coup everywhere a . . .

When Bush was elected to his first term, a friend of mine predicted that Bush would engineer a coup and never leave office.

The rumors are everywhere.

WomanHonorThyself said...

wow quite the life u lead my dear!!:)

cube said...

Revolucion!

Unknown said...

I was so sorry to hear that the new Paraguayan president is buddies with ol' Chavez!

I was impressed that both Romney and Guiliani spoke ot against Chavez right along with "I'm A DINNER JACKET" in their speeches Thursday evening!