Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Did you miss me?


I have been with out internet since Saturday afternoon. Why? It's a long story, but a volcano in southern Chile spewed forth a 4000 meter high column of ashes and cinders, and it caused my antenna here in Paraguay to get blown out of position. Some say it was not caused by this, but...you kind of had to be here!!!

It was a bright sunny day with temperatures in the high 90*'s and then, in mid afternoon, the sky darkened to the point that the street lights came on. The temperature dropped to below 70*. The air tasted of fire and smoke. We had an incredible wind storm which dumped the ash onto us here.

The rain and heavy winds helped to clear the air, but everything was covered with ash and the rain left black spots on everything. My laundry on the line was covered with spots! The wind managed to blow the ash into every nook and cranny and filled my house with a fine layer of gray ash!

And all of this caused my antenna, which receives my internet, to be blown out of position. Since it is now Holy Week here, it took until this afternoon to get it adjusted correctly. The antenna is 75 feet tall, or I may have attempted it myself !

13 comments:

Loving Husband said...

You let a 75' climb deter you?

Michelle D. Argyle said...

75 feet tall! Wow! I'm certainly glad you are all right. :D And I'm glad you're back! Amazing how the Internet can keep us connected.

Liz said...

This anecdote is definitely a must for your book, even though your not in the Jungle anymore!

Joy said...

I hate it when the internet is down. That is amazing that the ash spread so far.
Glad you are up and running again.

Joy

Betty said...

Yes, we did miss you! I know exactly what you are talking about. The storm hit in the evening here, but had left the rain behind. It brought big clouds of dust and because we weren´t home, and my windows were open....my house was a pile of dust afterward too! UGH!! I hate wind!

Most Rev. Gregori said...

It seems that volcanoes and earthquakes are being very active lately, and that cannot be global warming. Do you think is sending us a message?

Kathy said...

I was beginning to wonder if you were sick and was starting to get worried! Glad all is OK now! My mother-in-law never mentioned the weather in these last few days so we didn't know. Take care and "see" you later!

Unknown said...

Oh, that volcanic ash does get all over EVERYTHING!

Glad you got things back up & running. :o)

Rhonda in Chile said...

Our little ole volcano did that? You know, we are about 2 hours from that volcano, and are completely unaffected.

On behalf of Chilean volcanoes, I apologize for the inconvenience.

Glad you're back. I hate being without internet!

Jane said...

OH MY!!! Glad all is well now! The world seems to be experiencing some interesting events.

Unknown said...

Attempted it yourself? PLEEEEEZE!
Your description of the blackness and ashes drew my memory back to 9-11 and photos of the panicked folks in NYC.

Anonymous said...

Hope you didn't inhale any ash. That stuff is murder on the lungs.

MightyMom said...

glad you got it fixed!

oh and I had thought up a book title....


"When you find a machete on your path...."


whaddaya think?