Tuesday, August 04, 2009

EEETZ a Voy!

That's what the Venezuelan doctor said to me as he delivered my son.


Today is my son's birthday. In one week he will become a Pastor of a Hispanic church plant in Tampa, Florida. My how time flies!
Happy Birthday, Josh!

A few memories from that day:

My husband made the mistake of telling me, "I know what you are feeling." in the middle of a drug free natural labor. He never did that again!!!!

My son looked like Yoda when he was born. I cried for the child. Round, wrinkly head with scattered tufts of white fuzz spread around his baldness. Big pointy ears that stood out from his huge head. Poor baby. Thankfully, his looks improved within a few days.

In the delivery room, the nurse asked me for his diapers and clothes! I tried to explain that in my country the hospital provided all of these. They finally wrapped the child up in a doctor's gown and begged a diaper off of another mother. I was so embarrassed for my deprived child! Not only was he ... less than beautiful, he had a moron for a mother!

I was so hungry and the cafeteria was closed. My husband went out in the early morning and bought two arepas. The first I ever ate. After I wolfed them down, I realized he had intended to eat one himself.

When the cafeteria finally did open, they brought me a breakfast tray. I lifted the cover from the dish and to my surprise, everything was white! White arepa, a pile of white, dry, grated cheese, white milk, and white atol. Atol was, in my opinion at the time, glue. White pasty glue. I convinced the doctor to allow me to leave and go home to eat colorful food.

My son was the calmest, most content baby I ever had. He has always been a blessing and makes me proud!

11 comments:

MightyMom said...

now that's some grossssss hospital food!!

Unknown said...

This post made me cry. Partially from laughter, poor YODA BABY. Your description of him was quite funny.

We love Josh and are so happy we get to be with him for his first service at the new Hispanic church on Sunday. We'll be taking Agustin's mom and brother too! Oh and my neighbor want to go with us! She is from Jamaica, but mostly has lived in NYC, where she worked at the World Bank. She was educated at George Washington University and a life long learner. She mentioned she was wanting to learn to speak Spanish more fluently and was wondering if there might be a spanish speaking church near us. I told her about Joel's church,then remembered this coming Sunday we'll be with Josh. She is very excited!

Brooke said...

Aw, happy birthday and congrats to him!

Joy said...

What a sweet story. I know you are proud of the man he has become. That is so awesome about the church he'll be pastoring. Who knew when he started out so yodaish.
I wouldn't have thought to bring diapers to the hospital either.
I guess if Obama care passes moms in the future will have to.


Joy

Barbara H. said...

This is hilarious! Very fun to read.

Betty W said...

Awe! Happy Birthday to Josh!! You must be so proud of him!

Elizabeth said...

So happy for you and your family.

And maybe a bit jealous since my baby is due in 19 days. I'm still feeling round, big, tired and longing for labor!

Susan Holt Simpson said...

Wonderful memories!

The Local Malcontent said...

Like your sister Pam, this post made me shed a tear too-
cause, through your posts, I've been fortunate enough to see Josh as a baby, a toehead 8-year-old, and now as a married pastor.
surrounded by his sisters, on a balcony somewhere, in the jungle, in the Amazon river, and at his recent wedding.

That's Life~!
:Wonderfully lived, generously shared, devoted to all:

The Local Malcontent said...

Whoops, I almost forgot-
Happy Ninth Birthday, Josh~!
from your friends in Oklahoma....

Urraca said...

I never realized how my country (Vzla) was until reading all your stories. The food, the diapers issue, the baby-yoda was all very funny. thank you for all your stories you post. Kind regards from Switzerland.