Friday, August 07, 2009

Torta Tres Leches



A popular Latin American desert is the Three Milk's Cake.

I am told by a friend living in Venezuela that due to the food shortages there, her family now calls it The Miracle Cake, because it would require a true miracle to find all the ingredients in order to make one.

Torta Tres Leches


6 eggs
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 c flour sifted with 1 Tbl baking powder
1 c milk

Beat eggs whites until stiff. Add sugar. little by little. Add the egg yolks one at a time then add the vanilla. Finally, add the flour and alternate with adding milk.
Pour into 13 x 8 greased and floured cake pan.
Bake at 350* for 25 - 30 minutes.
Remove from oven and allow to cool completely. Once cooled, punch holes in the cake with a knife and pour in the following milk mixture.

Mix in blender:

1 can evaporated milk
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 can heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla
3 egg yolks

Allow milk mixture to settle by placing cake in refrigerator until cold.
Ice cake with meringue or whipped topping and store in refrigerator.

5 comments:

Brenda said...

I love this cake. Your recipe is a lot like mine. I have not made it for a long time though.

Findalis said...

Sounds great and fattening.

I've got to try it. Just one thing. Where do I find a can of heavy cream? We have 1/2 pints, and pints only, in the dairy section.

Rita Loca said...

Brenda, I especially like it in the hot summer.

findalis,
I think you could use half and half in place of heavy cream. 8 oz. or so.

Amanda said...

All I can say to this is praise the Lord.

Stephanie said...

My family had this the 1st time a couple of weeks ago (after being in CHile for a year in June) and loved it. Thanks for sharing the recipe.