Monday, August 10, 2009

I Held a Jewel

Today is my daughter Jewel's 19th birthday.
She begins college classes next week.
We miss her!



Jewel was born with an attitude!


She could never sit still for picture taking!



She has always enjoyed any type of hand work.
Here she is watching an indian lady make a hammock.



No matter where she is, she will find a way to be helpful.



She is always up for an adventure.



She loved canoeing on the river in the jungle.



A rough and tumble kid!


She has always loved babies and will make a great mom one day.



Loves drama.


She learned from other cultures that there are different ways to do things.


She makes friends easily!





She has always been interested in medicine.


She wants to be a nurse.


Always was a bit of a tomboy.


Very competitive.



She has become a real beauty...





And I keep wondering ,
"Where has my little, tough, tomboy gone?"




I HELD A JEWEL

I held a jewel in my fingers
And went to sleep
The day was warm, and winds were prosy
I said, "Twill keep"

I woke - and chide my honest fingers,
The Gem was gone
And now, an Amethyst remembrance
Is all I own

BY EMILY DICKINSON.

7 comments:

Yekwana Man said...

Once a diamond in the rough, she is now fit for the crown of a King. She is my girl.

Kathy said...

Congratulations for being the parents of such a wonderful young lady! I hope I can meet her in person one day! I know she'll do well in school and it will be nice to see her graduate in a few years! :)

Always On Watch said...

I love the poetry of Emily Dickinson! And the one you chose to close this post is so perfect for the photo essay.

Jewel was born with an attitude!

In my experience, those born with at attitude are the strongest in the Lord. Just sayin'.

Always On Watch said...

Oh, and congrats on this Jewel's special day!

Betty W said...

Happy Birthday to Jewel! It´s bad I never go to meet her. She sounds like a really special young woman! Hope she does well in college!

The Local Malcontent said...

A very happy birthday, Jewel!
with many, many to follow.

Joy said...

I enjoyed the pictures of your beautiful Jewel.
I hope her day was special and I look forward to more reports of what she is accomplishing.


Joy