Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Kitchen

It has been three months and we have been working to get the kitchen functional. I never showed you the pictures of the condition of the kitchen when we moved to this house. I was afraid someone might think I was crazy. We tackled the kitchen with a lot of elbow grease and a budget of $200.00.




What to do?
(The whiskey bottle was on the counter when I came! It's not mine!)



First, I cried! Alot!


We decided the lower cabinets had to go! My husband and son in law scrubbed the upper ones to make them useable. We had a cement  and tile counter put in. We did not have a lot of money nor did we want to invest too much in a rental property. The owner eventually covered the cost of the counter.


I decided to go for color!



I covered the end cabinet, which was grease stained beyond repair, with chalkboard contact paper.



We purchased a second hand cabinet.


I found these orange checkered dish towels in Asuncion
and attached them to the cabinets with velcro.

 Easy to clean.

Easy on, easy off!



My husband painted the walls a light turquoise.
These are our termos y guampas for Tereré .




The ceiling fan is a relic that was left in the house.
Clint cleaned  and painted it for me.




This was made by a dear Venezuelan friend and it is what makes a kitchen feel like it belongs to me!




Since I have no drawers, I use a dish rack and shower caddie for storage.


Hey, it works!


I have hot and cold water in the kitchen...just not out of the same faucet.




The window treatment is made of four napkins.
We painted the 3 light fixtures and a basket the same tangerine color as the fan.


My ONE outlet.
I added the adaptor to make it three in one.

Our water filter

My favorite kitchen appliance.
My 'MR. COFFEE'!

 So...what do you think????

25 comments:

Barbara H. said...

I think it looks great!

Brenda said...

I love it! You did a great job! We always need to be extra creative with our spaces in Latin America. I really like what you did.

R Lennon said...

Very nice Rita! You should be on that show 'Design on a Dime'!

Betty W said...

You did good Rita!! I would have cried too, after seeing those fotos. It must have been worse in real life.
I love the colors, you are braver than me to try such bold colors!

Gigi said...

Such a happy space!! I still can't get over ONE OUTLET!!!!

Becka said...

What do I think? I think it's crazy awesome! I think someone should start a blogzine. "Decorating the Mud Hut" A magazine dedicated to helping missionary women decorate their homes with no money.

I think that person should be you!

Wow. I love you kitchen. I don't envy not having drawers, but buy do I love the colors and the ingenuity.

The Queen said...

Oh my goodness I didn't even notice it today - it looks GREAT !
(Where's the marmite going to be stored?)

Shilo said...

Oh Rita, it is ABSOLUTELY beautiful, I LOVE IT!! I just love the cheery, invigorating color scheme and painting the lights and fan tangerine was genius!!! So happy for you to have a good space to work in!
God bless your home, friend! Shilo

Unknown said...

It's sweet and a tad ETHNIC looking! Love the bold colors and your Mr. Coffe is so handsome!

Dawn said...

Absolutely wonderful what you've done - what a terrible beginning! Yuck!!

The two faucets remind me of when we went to England to visit my brother and family - I tried washing my hair in the sink, but it didn't work very well when one stream is burning hot and other is freezing cold. I don't remember what I ended up doing.

Missionaries are very creative, adaptable people!

Findalis said...

Looks great!

Were you under or over budget?

Z said...

red, turquoise and tangerine and I LOVE IT!
You did an excellent job and the men did so much WORK! What a crew!
JM, this really is so cheerful and pretty and I wish you many happy, healthy years of cooking wonderful meals in there.
By the way, I HATE my pots and pans lids getting stuffed back into the cabinets and not finding them, what a GREAT idea to put them on a drying rack like that! Gracias, mi amiga!! xx

Carrie said...

Beautiful!

I'm jealous; I want a kitchen :)

Pam--in America said...

You did an amazing job!! I especially love the utensil holder your friend made. :o)

Rosie Cochran said...

A big step up from the jungle kitchens we've had! Though I must admit I loved my rustic jungle kitchen with it's rough hand hewn boards and counters made especially for my vertically challenged frame! Maybe it was all the love, sweat and ingenuity that had to go into making that kitchen!

Webutante said...

Rita, you're a magician! So crisp, clean and orderly.

Isn't it fun to do this kinda thing?! It's a woman thing!!

Carla Gade said...

You did a fabulous job!

Anonymous said...

Sherry posted your 'The jungle hut" on the FB so I got to learn of you and your ktchen.......I think you did a marvelous job...May God bless and keep you and your family well. May your ministry be blessed.

Take care and God bless.
Sujamanas :)

redneck preacher said...

You are indeed a wealthy person. Congrats on the innovative use of space.
HTOITA

The Wallace Family said...

Great job! Thanks for sharing your cheerful kitchen!

Norberto Kurrle said...

What an amazing transformation! You guys did GREAT!

Kathy said...

I love it!!! How satisfying to see the "after" after seeing the "before!" Congratulations to your team! If we make it your way when we're in Paraguay, I'll look forward to it's cheeriness and also the handyman butler! :) Maybe you can help me with my kitchen if I send some photos! :) I'm using kitchen towels as curtains at the moment myself. Take care and God bless!!!!

Gringo said...

Good improvisation.

Tear out definitely can have some advantages over rehab.

Jeanne said...

Wow! I love what you did, with a very small budget, and knowing Paraguay, you have to really hunt to get anything specific you really want because ALL the stores sell the EXACT SAME model of anything.. (this week's shipment?) or at least, that's how it was back in 1993. There was never any variety.

Anonymous said...

It's fantastic! You are very creative. Tell me please, how did you solve problem with hot and cold water in the kitchen. I didn't understand how combine this systems. Now I have the same situation with water in the kitchen, there are 2 faucets but it uncomfortable and I want to combine them if it is possible.