Friday, August 22, 2008

Madame Lynch


Oh! Dear me!

Madame Lynch was the Irish mistress and defacto First Lady for the Paraguayan Dictator, Mariscal Lopez.

She is quite a controversial figure in Paraguayan history having born several sons to the Dictator while flaunting her 'status' as mistress. She was also quite valiant and fought in The War of theTriple Alliance . It is said that she buried her son and his father with her own hands in the jungle.

She was forced to leave Paraguay and took confiscated money and jewels with her to Paris where she was buried.

In the '70's, the Dictator Stroessners decreed her to be a national heroine and there is a statute of her bravely heading off to battle at a major intersection near my home.

She was reputed to be a great beauty who flaunted her RED HAIR! To this day, any Paraguayan with red hair is considered to be a descendant of Madame Lynch.

I have red hair.
People here ask me about her, so I had to look it up!

I guess they think we are related!

Oh! Dear me!

19 comments:

Findalis said...

Red hair is a sign of great wisdom to the ancient Celts who prized it above all other hair colors (even blond).

Betty said...

I´m sure they think you are beautiful too!
Hopefully you are feeling homier(?) already!

Anonymous said...

Oh my...I guess if we make it to Paraguay in our future, I'll know alittle more of what folks might think of my red hair! LOL

Starla said...

That is funny. LOL!!!

Most Rev. Gregori said...

Ah, so you are a decedent of a woman with a notorious and checkered past how exciting! lol

MightyMom said...

si como no!

Anonymous said...

Such an association!!

I do believe you would fight in battle, and possibly take the spolis for survival.

HOWEVER, you are much too sweet and dedicated Christian to put aside all your convictions to be a heroine!!

AND, LAST BUT NOT LEAST, You are a beautiful redhead!!

(Must be a little strange to have people associate you in this way.....bet Jewel cringes, also!!)....

WAY TOO FUNNY

Unknown said...

LOL. red hair rocks!

CrimeSceneFairy said...

Eep.
Yes, that's all I have to say.

Brenda said...

I have read a lot about Madame Lynch and have always felt sorry that she did not put her brains and determination to good use. She is one of histories amazing women,not unlike Eva Peron.

Jane said...

VEEEEEERRRRRRYYYYYY interesting!!!!!
I think you should use the red hair thing to your advantage! It may not help....but it probably won't hurt!!

Thursday's Child said...

As long as they think your resemblance is only physical and not moral. ;)

ABNPOPPA said...

This is exactly why I check "The Jungle Hut nearly every day. Not only do I get some exciting stories from far away places I most likely visit, I get some history lessons also. Wonderful looking floors in your home, it is really very nice.

WomanHonorThyself said...

gingy!..as they say in Israel..lol..the pics from paraguay are great!!!

Bob's Blog said...

I think they are right about red hair. I saw two children last week with red hair. Both were cute as they could be.

Dawn said...

Oh, my goodness, I am so far behind! Your new house is fantastic - what a difference from the Jungle Hut - but I know you miss the people there and all of the adventures.

Unknown said...

UH-OH! First Hugo follows you and now this! I had to laugh about the red hair!

Kristi said...

LOL, I have red hair...am I related? LOL

~Kristi

Rebecca said...

Well you know what they say about those red haired girls!