Wednesday, August 27, 2008

My Day


Today we continued working on all the details of immigrating here to Paraguay.

Our first stop was to go back to Dr.S for the required medical work. We then headed to Interpol to get the clearance from them. We had been given a list of papers required for this , but, as is always the case, a few important details had been left out.

We were sent a few blocks away for more passport photos and then photocopies.

Oh, wait! The photo copies have to be authenticated by a notary. There happens to be one a few blocks away.

Another walk, come back, fill out these forms, sign this. We are done for the day...come back tomorrow.

We stopped at a used furniture store and picked out a wooden wardrobe for Jewel who has no closet in her room. We found a very nice one and they delivered it later in the afternoon.

Then we stopped at Burger King and the whoppers tasted much better than they do in the states. I wonder why that seems to be?

Then off to change more money!

Back home again, to get ready for my appointment with the Physical Therapist. She was great and I will see her 3 x this week to get things started.

Tomorrow we have to go get our blood work done for immigration. We have to be tested for Aides and VDRL (Syphilis)as well as get an electrocardiogram. Then off to the US Embassy for a paper to show we have no alias. I wonder, does Jungle Mom count as an alias????

Then tomorrow night I will be having a few people over for coffee and desert. I am excited to see them as they are fellow bloggers.


I'm tired!

Now, if you want to read about our day from a Jr. High girl's viewpoint, check out my daughter's blog!

21 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm not fond of those kinds of days either!

When I read Jr. High daughter, I thought of Jewell. Then it hit me, YES, our little Jaydie Lou is now a Jr. Higher! Yikes!

Thursday's Child said...

Sounds like your getting your residency for Kuwait. Only they're even more unorganized and send you on many more wild goose chases. Do you need a chest x-ray as well? They do that here to check for TB. The kids just get the skin test.

The burgers probably taste better due to what they feed their beef. It's pretty common to find beef from South America over here...it's good. I'm guessing they feed their cattle stuff that makes for better tasting meat.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a lot of work but doubtless it will be worth it.

Ottavio (Otto) Marasco said...

Sounds like you are awfully busy and then I read, "I'm tired", little wonder... Jungle Mom alias? lol...
Come to think of it, have not had a whopper for a while, might have an Australian one tomorrow...

CrimeSceneFairy said...

Lol...doing passports stuff is always complicated in a foreign country. But have hope! Every bad or annoying thing that happens to you is a new blogging opportunity! :D
And yeah, American fast food does taste better in foreign countries!

Amanda said...

I agree that Burger King has a much greater appeal outside of the U.S.

Betty said...

Oh the joys of bureaucracy....
And in Paraguay they are especially bad! Will be thinking of you.
I wish I could be there for the blogger meeting! But don´t forget to take some fotos!

Kate said...

Hi JM, no need to publish this comment, but I thought you'd be interested to know that --all of a sudden-- there are lots of articles in the American press, as well as in the blogosphere, coming out about Hezbollah in Venezuela. What gets me is that they're discussing it as if it's a new discovery...and if I'm not mistaken, you published your AMAZING post on it just over a year ago... WELL DONE! Hope all is well in Paraguay, God bless you and the family :)

Findalis said...

Ah the red tape of bureaucracy. I found out why the cokes taste better in Mexico. They use sugar and not corn syrup.

Gayle said...

Regarding Kate's comment, SHEESH! Of course I knew that the MSM is a lot slower than the blogosphere, but by a whole year??? They need to get with it!

That does sound like a rather tiring day, Rita. They seem to be checking people for everything except hoof and mouth disease! Whew! I got tired just reading about it.

Brooke said...

Nothing like a day in a gov't office, no matter WHAT gov't it is! BLECH!

At least you had a good Whopper, though. :)

memememe said...

Hi JM, please come to my blog as soon as possible. I'm going to close it for a lot of reasons (do not worry, none of them are related to a threat) and I wrote a good bye letter and I wanted you to read it. Take care

Unknown said...

I was just editing my post when your comment came through!
I miss our talks!

Melissa Lea said...

Bless your bones! Hope tomorrow brings you less walking!
Have a blessed day!

Always On Watch said...

What a run around? Typical bureaucracy, especially in Paraguay. That's been the case for decades, and I know because I had a boyfriend who lived in Paraguay for a while when his military Dad was stationed near Asuncion.

I've heard that Argentine beef is the best. Could that have been what was in the burger?

Anonymous said...

WHEW---you must be exhausted....how many hours did youhave in your day??/ Sounds more than normal !!!

And, you get to start over tomorrow!!

GREAT!!!

I hope they approvae your stay there!!

I remember Jackie's stories about birth certificates, etc!!

Susan said...

Sound busy but also sounds like you are getting things taken care of in a timely fashion. Yes, I think Jungle Mom might qualify as an alias :o)
Susan

Rebecca said...

I read your daughter's blog. Poor baby! I hate being bored, and I really hate standing around and waiting.

groovyoldlady said...

Oh the tedium of "becoming".

MathewK said...

Oh yeah, Jungle Mom is an alias. interpol would have been scratching their heads over that one. ;)

Charles said...

I have a theory about the Better Burger King burgers. It's that you are closer to that great Bolivian Beef.