Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Angel Falls, Cell phones, Mirrors, and Love !!!







This is a page from our album. My husband chose the photo of the famous Angel Falls of the jungle in Venezuela for the play on words, "You are my ANGEL and I FALL for you everyday!"

My husband once made a flight out to visit a Pemon Indian village and ended up stranded in a village without any radio to call for a plane. Each day he would walk out to the air srtip and use a hand mirror to try and signal the mining planes that occasionally (once every day.. or two) flew over the village. The Pemons had pity on him and brought him what they referred to as 'a bigger radio'. It was a larger mirror!

But that day a pilot did land and offered to fly him back to Ciudad Bolivar. The pilot was on his way to a mining town but left my husband to wait for him in Canaima, at the base of the very mountain of this beautiful fall, the highest in the world!

This is now a resort tourist area and he wandered around in his jungle missionary attire and actually discovered a satellite phone booth! So he called me.

I was in our small house in town and at that time there was still no land line phone service in that part of the town. We did have an ancient cell phone which my husband had attached a double size battery to. However, the only place to get a signal was by climbing up on a ladder under a palm tree in our back yard. Very interesting in rainy season!

Since I was anxious for my husband's well being, I left the phone up on the ladder to catch any call! It rang and he tells me he is calling from Canaima and Angel Falls.

He is in the middle of the jungle using a high tech satellite phone!

I am in a town, civilization! I am climbing up a ladder, holding a cell phone the size of a brick, which weighed three lbs., perching under an umbrella, wearing a rain coat praying not to get struck by lightning!

The things we do for love!!!!
My dear husband wrote a lovely post for our anniversary!

But, since he only posts about every three months,
I thought I should tell you all to go check it out!
Yekwana Man

8 comments:

~Karen_ said...

That is so interesting! Cell phones are popular here. They may still do their laundry by hand, or use an outhouse, but they have a cell phone!

MathewK said...

Each time i come here, i'm amazed at the stories you have, never a dull moment eh.

CrimeSceneFairy said...

Lol............brickphone...

Gayle said...

You're life is never boring, Rita! LOL! Your husband is a romantic. How sweet! :)

MaMa Vaughn said...

You really do have awesome stories!! I check your blog like daily!! Love it!!

cube said...

lol! You lead an interesting life compared to mine. If it weren't for the giant spiders, I'd be jealous ;-)

Anonymous said...

A beautiful post!

Pilot-Pooja said...

So true..the true caring for somebody who loves you is the key to a beautiful relationship!

Ultimate post and a heart-rending prayer to the Lord for a sweetheart!