Friday, March 13, 2009

Answers, Part Three

Findalis said...

What is the one thing you enjoy most about being a missionary? What is the one thing you hate most about being a missionary?

And would you do it again if you had the chance to do it over?

I enjoy the blessing of feeling that my work makes a difference in the lives of others. Not anything that I do, but the work God allows me to do for Him. I also enjoy that my husband and I have spent our lives together, almost 24/7, working together and for the same goals. It has made us very close as a couple.

Our family life has been enhanced by the time we lived in the jungle. We were all together nearly everyday. Our children spent time with us, we had no real outside influences competing for their attention. This bonded us in a way many families never are able to achieve. I will never regret that.

One of the difficult things to accept as a missionary is that no matter where I go, I will always be missing someone. In the US, I miss my friends here. While here, I miss my friends and family in the states. Now, I miss family and friends in Venezuela. Sometimes this makes me not want to get too close to people as I fear the hurt of leaving them. I have to work on that all the time.

Would I do it again? You bet! I have been privileged to live an amazing life and see and experience things that many others never will. Would I change a few things if I were to do it over? Yes! I am much wiser now than in my younger days. Mostly, I would slow down and enjoy things more.

Brenda said...

Have you ever considered doing something different than missions? How much longer do you think you will stay at it?

We should plan a road trip to Filadelfia together in June or July. . . maybe we will even let our hubbies go along ;)


I think that one of the benefits of being a missionary, as you well know, is that in reality, I am able to do many different jobs. I have taught, spoken at conferences, delivered babies, buried the dead, traveled, been a counselor, ran camps and conferences, even got to fly the plane a few times. It is a multifaceted job and I don't think any other could compare. I hope to stay at it for quite few more years, but I have learned that sometimes God's plans are not the same as mine.

I would love to go to Filedelphia once it is cooler!

Betty said...

This is so funny. I had exaclty the same post prepared for today, but changed it to tomorrow. So you´ll see it then.
My question. When are you planing on coming to Filadelfia? What do want to see when here? Just to be prepared... :)

I would like to go before Jewel leaves for college in June. I really want to see you and perhaps sit on your newly refubished patio and eat some of the great recipes you post! I want to see your ranch! My husband says the grocery stores there are very nice, too.
Dani Joy said...

Do you go to the Chaco of Paraguay?(not sure if I have the name right. it´s like the outback) If so what are your thought´s on it. I went once when I was there and the children made such a lasting impact on me. So poor.

I do plan to go to the Chaco in a month or so. My husband has already been. The poverty in Latin America is very heart breaking to see and will change your perspective on what true poverty is.
Mrs. Reverend Doctor said...

I have always wondered what do you love to receive in packages from the state, or growing up what did things did the kids get excited about receiving?

I love to get books, DVD's, music Cd's, and Zip Lock baggies!!!! I also like to have seasoning packages on hand for things like Tacos, Sloppy Joes, Italian dressing mixes, Ranch mixes and that sort of thing. My children enjoyed getting their own mail when younger. Anything that was current in the states, Tshirts with logos, candies, books and movies.
Once we did get a package that spent 3 months in the mail. It had drier sheets, Chili powder,
M & M's, as well as Jiffy Muffin mixes. Unfortunaltey, the Chili powder permeated the
M & M's, so they were HOT! The drier sheets invaded the muffins to the point that they made bubbles in our mouths! So paking things indiviually is important. ( Also, I am unable to leave comments on your blog but loved the article with advice to Pastor's wives!)

I think that answers all of your questions, unless you have some more for me!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Rita, Thanks for the news! ;) I would love to see the pictures. I have some memories that will always be imbeded in my heart from my one day in the Chaco. I met missionaries who flew in every week and who were starting a church there. Do you know them. I have a picture but can´t remember their name.

"Roji ju", mi amiga de mi computadora.

Brenda said...

I love to get zip lock bags in the mail too! How funny. Such a simple thing and yet so useful. ..

I linked to you today also but I could not find the specific post I wanted to link to on your blog. If you know what it is off hand, send it to me and I will correct the link.

Lindsay said...

I went on a mission (LDS church) to Paraguay as well. What part of Asuncion?

Hola! right back.

Betty said...

Thanks for the answers. I think we can do most of those things. We´ll see about the ranch, because if it doesn´t rain, there will be nothing to see... But we can go to my dad´s ranch.
Anyway I look forward to hearing from you!

Findalis said...

Thanks for the answers. What a interesting life you have led.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading this, like always! Another question: Where do you think you folks will retire?

Anonymous said...

P.S. We used to send my parents M&Ms when they were in Africa. One year they had two student missionaries living with them (boys, well, college aged young men) and they ate a whole pound bag in just a couple of days. After that, Mom had to hide the M&Ms and dole them out! :)