Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Beauty Shop


Yesterday morning I woke up with a pounding head ache after a night of little sleep. I have nights like this fairly often due to my chronic back pain, it's just part of my life. I can't do much about it, but the head ache, I knew exactly what to do for that!

A trip to my beauty shop! That's right, a trip to my hairdresser can fix most of my head ache problems that even medication can't touch!

I showed up at the shop and as I settled in at the sink, the regular shampoo girl asked if I wanted the scalp massage. Oh did I!!!! The scalp massage is a twenty minute massage of the scalp, forehead and neck. It can really get rid of a tension head ache and the 'works' only costs 10$! I try and treat myself to a trip once a month or so.

I mentioned to her that I had come hoping she could help me get rid of my terrible head ache. She asked me where exactly was the pain and how intense was it. She did a little pre massage check to see where I felt most relief and how much pressure was comfortable.

And then she washed my hair, and applied the cream treatment she uses for the massage. I felt so much better when she finished, I looked at my watch and saw that instead of the usual twenty minutes, she had spent 45 minutes on my massage! She said she could tell how much relief I was feeling and just couldn't stop until her hands were too tired to continue.

Then she served me coffee.

I love Paraguayan beauty shops!

21 comments:

Pilar said...

Wow, I need to go there (although it would cost me more than 10$ since I would have to pay for a plane ticket!). I have had headaches for the last.... 6 years maybe. Nothing can get rid of them anymore.

tascha said...

WOW - that is WONDERFUL... glad that can give you relief!

firepig said...

Pilar,

Have you tried biofeedback? it often works when headaches are due to tensions.

there is a feedback machine for the computer :

http://www.wilddivine.com/

teaches you how to relax at will

Betty said...

Sounds wonderful! What´s the place called? Maybe I can try it next time I´m in the city. A head massage is about the only massage I´ll tolerate.... I´m glad you found a place to help your head aches go away!

Unknown said...

Sounds wonderful!!! So cheap too! And what a nice bonus that she spent even longer.
God knew you needed it.
Well, I am off to clean the potties. such glamorus work.

Anonymous said...

What a delight! Next time I'm there, I think I could go for a scalp massage! Not a bad way to spend $10! Glad you are feeling better!

~~Deby said...

Sounds wonderful...I am glad that you can get relief for such a few dollars...

Brenda said...

I miss it already! Paraguayan beauty shops are the best!

Dr Zibbs said...

I think you should start calling it the Beauty "Parlour" like they did in days of old.

Unknown said...

Ah, latin america! Getting it for $10.00 really is a treat, a blessing! But I know you, and you paid her well for the extra time!

The Wallace Family said...

Sounds wonderful! My children will massage my head for me when I have a headache, but they get tired waaay before 45 min.! :~) It is amazing how much it helps.

I enjoy your blog! Got here from Nina's.

God bless you!
Holly

Dawn said...

Wow, that sounds wonderful. What a good bargain you got and to have relief in the end. What a blessing.

Kristi said...

That's great that she knows how to help you like that! What a treat too!! I would be going once a month too!!! :)

I left you a message at my blog, but wasn't sure if you would get it. I told you that the next time you're stateside, maybe you'll get to swing by NC. And if you do to bring Pam and the whole clan, our little town would NEVER be the same! :)

~Kristi

MightyMom said...

how long a walk is it from here to your beauty shop? I'm starting at first light.


quick fix for most headaches:

put your fingers at the top of each ear where it joins the head. Then push up and back toward the crown of your head. After the second or third trip from ear to crown you'll feel like a new person.

Gecko said...

What a bargain! Great to hear there are still some lovely, caring people out there.

Liz said...

I can even picture you sitting there....

Anonymous said...

Wish I could get one of those....wouldbe well appreciated today!!!!

I am thankful for the releif you got from that massage and the blessing of the woman to help you!!

Z said...

I think God was working through her hands! She couldn't stop!? it wasn't the "devil made her do it!"

Lovely! Funny, leaning back to have my hair washed at the salon GIVES me a headache!

So glad you're feeling better! xxx

Gutsy Living said...

Wish I could fly over for that. I hope you feel better today. I linked to your blog today with the book synopsis you submitted, together with others.

MathewK said...

Sounds like a well-deserved treat JM, and you contributed to the local economy to boot. :)

Pastor Erik DiVietro said...

She gave you coffee!!!!!

Wow, I could get into a barber shop where they serve you coffee...That's what I need, more places that serve coffee.