Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Books, Books, Books!



1. Do you remember how you developed a love for reading?I taught myself to read at 4 years of age. I have always loved reading but I do remember my first favorite book was a Golden Book of Saggy,Baggy the Elephant. My father would often read aloud to me. He enjoyed Luis L amour westerns and Pirate Tales. I can still hear him saying, 'Yo Ho Ho , and a bottle of rum!'

2. What are some books you read as a child? There was a series of the childhood of Famous Americans in my school library, and I loved those and read as many as I could get! This led to a love for history and even Historical Fiction.In mt teen years I developed a love for Science Fiction.

3. What is your favorite genre? History and biographies.

4. Do you have a favorite novel? That's a really difficult question to answer, but I will say The Sea Island Lady.

5. Where do you usually read? Everywhere!
In my bed at night, at the table, in the car, while waiting in lines (You do a lot of that here) I always have a book in my purse.

6. When do you usually read?
I always read at night, but, anytime is a good time to read!

7. Do you usually have more than one book you are reading at a time? Yes! 2 or 3 by my bed, one in the kitchen, one by the computer, one in the living room and even one in the bathroom. My husband and I are always fighting over who gets to read which book next!

8. Do you read nonfiction in a different way or place than you read fiction?

Not really, unless it is for preparing a class to teach, then I will take notes.

9. Do you buy most of the books you read, or borrow them, or check them out of the library? When stateside, I pick up a lot of used books, and when ever anyone visits and asks what to bring, I always ask for books. As missionaries, we also borrow and share each others books. My husband just became part of the board of trustees for the American/Paraguayan Cultural Center which has an English library. It makes me feel like I won the lottery!

11. If you have children, what are some of the favorite books you have shared with them? For small children, Winnie the Pooh, Alice in Wonderland, Peter Rabbit. For older children, The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings as well as the Chronicles of Narnia
.

12. What are you reading now? The Grand Idea (Washington's tour of the west after the war) The Gift of Dyslexia, A Table in the Presence of my Enemy ( The memories of a Navy Chaplain assigned to the Marine Corps in Irak.) The Book of Galatians.

13. Do you keep a TBR (to be read) list? Of sorts. It's usually just a stack of books on my shelf.

14. What’s next? I will probably re read Gone with the Wind (I just finished the biography of Margaret Mitchell)

15. What books would you like to reread? Just about any book worth reading is worth re- reading!

16. Who are your favorite authors? Tolkien, Elliot, Dickens,
Eugenia Price, McDonald, Austen and oh so many others!

What are you currently reading?

11 comments:

Brenda said...

I am reading "The Best American Short Stories" of 2008. Its nice for this time of transition because I don't have to remember a story line.

Yesterday I went to the Goodwill and picked up about 4 books to read. Its nice.

Rebecca said...

Was the Margaret Mitchell biography good?

Rita Loca said...

Rebecca, Yes, it was interesting. She suffered from back problems and wrote the book during a several years long bed rest for a broken spine wearing a brace.

Anonymous said...

Why the Gift of Dyslexia? My son is dyslexic and we bought that a long time ago. It's a good book.

Anonymous said...

Every year or so, for over 20 years, I would send a box of used books, most picked up for ~ $1-$2 a copy, to a Gringa English teacher from NH who has been living in Argentina for decades. (She married a local when in the Peace Corps, and they moved to Argentina for his job.) I stopped the process several years ago when she informed me that the customs officials in Argentina were now charging import duties for even used books.

Findalis said...

I finished Josephus and started to re-read A Place Among The Nations by Bibi Netanyahu.

Rita Loca said...

Hermit,
My daughter Jewel is dyslexic. We are just trying to get her ready for college next year. The book is very practical.

Rita Loca said...

Gringo,
That was such a great gift for her! Very thoughtful on your part.

Anonymous said...

My answers to these questions are very similar to yours! For now, I just finished reading I will plant you a Lilac Tree: A Memoir of a Schlinder's List Survivor--very interesting. Also am reading My Just Desire: The Life of Bess Ralegh, Wife to Sir Walter, and We Band of Angels: The Untold Story of American Nurses Trapped on Bataan by the Japanese--both very good! Maybe I can lend them to you one day!

Liz said...

Did the internet eat my comment? I guess so...

I said that I just bought 9 books!! you know where :-)

Unknown said...

Ooooo... An English Library!!

I'm reading "The Saving Life of Christ" by Major W. Ian Thomas. Just got it in the mail from my cousin.

With my children, I'm on book 12 of the old "Elsie Dinsmore" series.