Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Personal Update

We had another busy week. Have you ever spent your days running around, but then can't really say exactly what you did? That is how I feel about last week. But here goes...

We continue spending time with both churches. I seem to need to learn how to text. I get several texts from Paraguayan friends, and I HATE texting, so I end up calling them instead. The problem with that is that I end up on the phone too long. Paraguayans are addicted to texting!

Saturday was a Church Leadership Retreat with about 20 leaders. I was unable to attend, but Clint, Brian and Jackie were there. It was a profitable time used to unite the leadership team.

Pastor John Lennon, ABWE missionary, teaching the leaders.


Part of the group.


Two of the church deacons praying for one another.




Male bonding! Some things never change, no matter the culture!
(A deacon and my son in law)



On Sunday morning the girls and I attended our regular church as we had commitments to keep there , but Clint and two other men from the church traveled two hours to a newly formed church out in the interior. The church had just moved into its own property and was celebrating. Our church wanted to send a delegation to encourage them along. It is always good to see new churches formed.

On Sunday night, Clint once again preached for the other church we are helping. We are planning an evangelistic campaign for Holy Week as well as a 2 day retreat. So we will be busy.

Next week we will began the Small Group for marriage here at the house. This not only allows us to minister to the church folk, but by meeting at the house, we can also invite people who would never attend a church...YET ;)

The girls continued in their Soccer Tournament, but were finally defeated. We ended up taking Jewel to the ER yesterday as she hurt her thumb and it was only getting worse. She is now in a wrist brace for 15 days to immobilize the thumb. What can I say? I broke my own wrist playing soccer once, a very long time ago.

We have also had some,'Boy likes daughter, talks to Father' events this week. Oh the drama of being a teenage girl! My husband is greatly feared by the young men, which is the way he likes it to be! And now they have the added threat from the brother in law who is also their Youth Pastor, so there is no where to hide from the protectors. My husband walks around mumbling something about 'Predators!'

My diet is working, I have managed to lose 10 kilos since Christmas. I really need to do this to help my back pain, so please pray for me!!!

We are into our fourth week of school and I am also working on getting Jewel's high school transcripts ready for sending out to colleges as well as applications. This has kept me busy and I have not been able to visit as many blogs as usual.

I wanted to share some photos of the famous Lapacho Trees of Paraguay. They are beautiful and I know my friend Gringo will enjoy seeing them.



(H/T Luque Life for all photos)

19 comments:

Dawn said...

What a busy week! But good busy.

The flowering trees are absolutely gorgeous. Do they smell as good as they look??

Love the word picture of your husband mumbling "Predators!" Reminds me of Bill Cosby.

Congrats on the weight loss. I don't know how many pounds that is - I never did catch on to metric! Sad. I can't seem to stick to my plan, but desperately need to drop 40 pounds.

How do you prepare a transcript when you home school? Just very curious.

Americans are addicted to texting, too. That's another thing I haven't caught on to!

Have a great day.

Betty said...

I agree! Paraguayans are addicted to texting!! If you can´t beat them....join them! :)
Sounds like you are really busy.

Sarah Joy said...

JM-busy and blessed! What a lot of great opportunities! I'm interested in the marriage ministry you're doing, and I remember the other posts you've made about them. It looks like a great tool to strengthen families and reach out to other people.

I love the pics! Absolutely beautiful!

And congratulations on the lost fluff! I started using sparkpeople dot com to help with "extra baggage" I'd rather not carry around on furlough, and it's been helping me a lot. I remember a comment you made on someone else's blog about furlough. You said count on gaining weight. Bleah!

Brenda said...

Congratulations on the weight loss. . . maybe I should be doing your diet!

Learn to text, its fun, personally I use the dictionary or automatic speller.

"Boy likes daughter talks to father", lol, been there, also been to "boy likes sister is nice to younger brother"

Anonymous said...

That is beautiful there. I like what I have seen of the country in your pictures.

Unknown said...

The trees/plants/blooms ARE beautiful!

Can't believe Jewel is applying to colleges! Whatever happened to my Tigger!

Why is it that when you lose weight I gain and vice versa?? Eee Gads! Quit losing already would ya'? (Cuz I'm gaining!) Just kidding of course, I'm very proud of you.That's about 20# down now huh?

Also, please check and see if Faith is getting your prayer letters okay? They did take you on did they not? I keep forgetting to ask Pastor Naill if he has been receiving them or not. I'll try to remember to check up on that.

Unknown said...

oh and speaking of texting, it's hot here too! My Josh can text so fast! I take For--ev--er!

Norberto Kurrle said...

You've lost 22 lbs since Christmas? That's incredible!!! Congratulations.

What material are you using for your small group? We've done MIM before, but it's hard to find good stuff in Spanish.

I hate texting, too. Fat thumbs. I cheat and use the computer.

I love lapacho trees and I love that they bloom at different times of year, so you can just keep on enjoying the beauty.

R Lennon said...

That Pastor John sure is a handsome fellow!

Congrats on the weight loss!

Sarah Halter said...

Sounds like things are going so well - Praise the Lord!! I love seeing the church in action and the development and fruit of the ministry.

I still can't stand texting here, but loved it when I lived in Kenya - way cheaper than calling and I got pretty good at half swahili, half english depending on which words were shorter and who I was texting with.

Rita Loca said...

Ronda, If you think Pastor John is Handsome, you should see his lovely wife!!!

Unknown said...

So funny about our friends inside our computers! I had a good laugh! thanks. My hubby told me I have friends now that he doesn´t know, and I told him sure you do they live inside the computer!! LOL ;)

Have I told you I know the Lennons. Mrs. Lennon didn´t remember me but when I was there in ´95 I went to their home and we were working somewhat in their church. I was staying with the Fannings.
Well, just a little more background. :)

Great job on the weight loss! Nina and I are at it too. I have lost almost 10 lbs and want to lose a 20 more. I started a little after the new year. I hope to have it all off by the summer. It has been a great encouragement to know others are at it too!

Kimberly said...

Glad to hear everyone is happy, healthy and busy. And congrats on the weight loss, that is terrific. Pain is a great motivator; my back keeps me faithful to my therapy exercises.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the success of the diet! I'm encouraged now to stick with mine! :) Thanks! We'll be praying for everything else. Take care!

Findalis said...

Glad to see how things are working out for you. Texting is easy. I just try to use proper English when I text.

Brooke said...

I'm glad all is on the up and up!

:)

Anonymous said...

Yes, I much appreciated seeing photos of Lapacho trees. They are SO beautiful!

Congrats on losing 10+ kilos. I need to do about the same. I know the remedy, but keep putting it off: WALK 2+ miles per day!

MightyMom said...

keep moving!

congrats on your 22lbs! that's wonderful.

Tori Leslie said...

Okay you'll forgive me for laughing at John Lennon, Ha!

Those trees are awesome!