Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Ever had one of those days????


I woke up this morning to find my toilet leaking. Not a good start to a day especially when you are having guests over.

My husband had to take Jewel to immigration to renew her Visa as she is here as a Venezuelan and all her paperwork is different. Her Visa expires tomorrow. We had planned to take her to Argentina to re enter but had been assured she could get an extension here in Asuncion. But there is a new director and, No, they no longer do that.

So we have to pay a fine of 200$... and get all her Interpol papers... and spend a week in lines to get a new 6 month Visa even though she leaves in just 3 months.

In the mean time I decided to bake an Angel Food cake for my guests and use a new pan. My cake spilled out of the pan and all over my clean oven creating a lot of smoke and a big mess.

We invited our guests for 3 pm, but they arrived on Paraguayan time, at 4:30 pm. Which was fine as we had expected them to arrive late. We had a great time visiting with them and their two children. Their son has Cerebral Palsy and had been hospitalized all last week. This was their planned vacation and they spent most of it in the hospital. We had wanted to encourage them a bit.

My husband grilled some steaks and sausages. I cooked yucca and made a salad and rolls. We were just sitting down to eat when Jayde decided to get ice for her terere thermos. Our fridge is not a frost free model and is in need of being defrosted. She decided to use the butcher knife to get the ice free...

And the knife punctured through the freezer and the gas began to escape, loudly...

And my husband was not happy...

And neither was I...

And Jayde felt terrible...

And, well, it's just been one of those days!

19 comments:

Brooke said...

Oh, geez.

Tomorrow will be better! :)

Gecko said...

Oh dear!!! These things usually happen in threes, looks like you're setting a new trend..... four ;) Hopefully that will be your lot for awhile, today will be a whole heap better.

Most Rev. Gregori said...

When I was a kid, my mother told me there would be days like that, she just didn't tell me how many.

Dawn said...

Oh, my goodness!! Like Alexander's Terrible Horrible No Good Very Bad Day!

I do remember Chris Sligh and am so happy to hear that his career has taken off. That's the good thing about AI - that it's a good platform for taking off, even if you're not in the top two or three. Good for him! I love it that there are always at least one or two strong Christians in the final group.

Pilar said...

Well you know, it is Murfy's law.if something can go wrong, it will :).
I hope you have a great day today after such a day yesterday

Rosie Cochran said...

Those are the days you just have to laugh. It's laugh or cry and laughter is much better medicine! :-)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like your luck and my luck are running about the same. Maybe the next week will be kinder to both of us. I can really sympathize with the passport problems after the fiasco we had in Canada.

Thursday's Child said...

Sounds like Paraguay plagiarized Kuwait's immigration system. {sigh}

Anonymous said...

I am allll too familiar with those days!

Betty said...

Awwe! Sorry the day did not go well. I guess it can only get better, right? :)
Jayde learned her lesson, as I read on her blog....

Anonymous said...

Sometimes, those days go ON AND ON AND ON AND ON..............................

(hope you can get the fridge fixed....we have one of those!!)

Anonymous said...

Man, at least you were all together! :) As everyone mentioned, it can only get better now! Hope today is great!

Findalis said...

Remember one thing:

When life throws lemons at you, look around and find the annoying child with the paper cut.

I hope things will look better for you.

Nina in Portugal said...

hey, a few weeks ago while trying to renew our paperwork after our one year temp. residence cards expired, we were told that they don't usually renew cards for those who are of the "cults".

can you believe that?!

We are still trying to get all that straightened out.....and it always involves more money...

hope all is well soon....

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Awww...

BLESS you for blessing your friends and their son. Maybe sleep in a little tomorrow. :]

Humble wife said...

Oh Rita...sigh, life always throws us lemons- and all we have is the recipe to make apple juice!

No advice or sadness, just a comment of knowing that another day will come and things will be better!
I am off to grab the lemon/apple juice!

Christie said...

Sorry you had a rough day! About the re-entry from Argentina... how does that work? We tried to use our re-entry stamp from the week before our Visas expired, and were told in the renewal office that it didn't work that way, and that we had to pay to renew them all over again anyway. Did I get duped?

VaneRV said...

"Paraguayan time"... hahaha. A bad, very bad habit of hours. I try so hard to be on time, but nobody else is. Then I run late, and nobody else did.
It´s weird to see "steaks and sausages, yucca and salad and rolls". mmmmm ASADO con CHORIZO con MANDIOCA! what are rolls, anyway?
Well, bad days come and go. So hopefully it will be better. Still, you put it so happy anyway.PS: another Murhpy law, it´s never too bad that it can´t get worse. Just laugh about it.

Anonymous said...

Love the saying and the clip art. So sorry you had "one of those days..." -- hope it has been better since!