Thursday, March 19, 2009

Worms!

The following was written by my youngest daughter, Jayde.



Amazonian worms.




The earliest memory I can recall clearly is eating worms instead of my mom's chocolate chip cookies. I may have been crazy, or simply craving worms. I don't know. But they were smoked, and they were very tasty. They taste a lot like beef jerky only a little bit more...um...wiggly. Plus, they are long. About a foot long. Let's just say that they are like Slim Jims. Only living.

They are much tastier when they are cooked, as are most foods. But, eating them live and raw can gross out any tourists or city-folk and it is fun. I used to snack on them like potato chips. I prefer them over potato chips.

Anyways, I'm guessing myself to be about five to six years old, and obviously, I was hungry. I was growing anyway, and I needed something to hold me over until Mom finished making lunch.
"Mama." I said, and looked up at her as she stirred the pot...Or cut the vegetables...Or baked or whatever she was doing. And she looked down at me.
"What?"
"I'm hungry." As I said this, I rubbed my tummy.

Mom told me to go look in the fridge, as there was something to snack on. "Go look."
I walked over, and opened the fridge. Inside was a wild array of meat, fish that the Indians had brought, baby veggies, leftovers and...Worms. I dug in for the worms. I took them out, and carried them up to the loft while I played.

As soon as the Ziploc was empty, I quietly slipped back down the ladder, and threw the bag in the sink as Mom had always instructed me to do, because 'those magical bags didn't grow on trees'. I found this odd, because, to me, everything grew on trees. Fruits, vegetables, and I thought birds grew on trees. And the fact that they were magical meant they had to be cleaned every day, to be used again. And then stuck against the window when wet, to dry.
Anyway, once I threw it in the sink, I looked over and saw Mom leaning into the fridge. (I remember this clearly).

I went over and asked what she was doing. Mom stood back up, and said, " Where are they!?!?! They're--They're---They're GONE! What happened? Do you know??" She asked me.
I shook my head. Then Mom saw me. And looked in the sink.
"Did you eat the worms??"
I nodded. "You said there was a snack in the fridge."
"But--Those were for your cousins for when we see them next week. Oh...I was gonna surprise them!..." Mom looked so sad. So I looked at her, smiled and said,
"They wouldn't like them anyway. They would think that they were gross. So I eated them."
"I'm sure you did."

Turns out, she had meant the chocolate chip cookies when she said a snack. Who knew?
Jayde 'helps' her dad while a friend gets stitches.

14 comments:

Rosie Cochran said...

Jayde just looks too cute American to have loved those alive worms! Ha! My boys seemed the more likely candidates. :-)

Dawn said...

Oh, my goodness! That just amazes me - MK's are definitely a breed of their own.

Reminds me of my cousin from Africa who brought in a grasshopper for Grandma to fry for him one summer when they were home on furlough.

After Survivor, I guess nothing should shock us any more.

Meadowlark said...

I LOVED this story! Posted about it, just so you know. Hope that's ok.

Betty said...

All I can say is "Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwe!!

Anonymous said...

LOL, another great story that made me gag, hehe.

Your daughter is sooooo beautiful!

Dori said...

Thanks to Meadowlark for pointing me this direction! I'm an MK from East Africa--I'm sure my parents have plenty of stories much like Jayde's! I then proceeded to travel on my own courtesy of the US Navy. Delighted to meet you!

Christie said...

Oh, my. I'm speechless. Jayde, you're tough stuff, gal.

Anonymous said...

Your daughter put this oldie but a goodie into action:

Nobody likes me
Ev'rybody hates me
Guess I'll go eat worms

Long, thin, slimy ones
Short, fat, juicy ones
Itsy, bitsy, fuzzy, wuzzy worms.

Down goes the first one
Down goes the second one
Oh, how they wiggle and squirm

Long, thin, slimy ones
Short, fat, juicy ones
Itsy, bitsy, fuzzy, wuzzy worms.

Up comes the first one
Up come the second one
Oh, how they wiggle and squirm

Long, thin, slimy ones
Short, fat, juicy ones,
Itsy, bitsy, fuzzy, wuzzy worms.


Though the refrain I recall went thusly:
Scuzzy wuzzy,wuzzy,wuzzy wor-or-orms.

Anonymous said...

Jayde, you must have a "cast iron mouth" let alone stomach! :) Please tell me that if you had a choice now that you'd pick Cheez-Its! :)

firepig said...

My Goodness Gringo, I had totally forgotten that old song....thanks for writing it down!

Brooke said...

What a cute story.

Ew. ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi Rita! It is great to "meet" you! Wow, your life looks like a wonderful adventure, and what amazing kids you have! Thanks for stopping by "Missionary Moms!" I added your blog to the blogroll because I found it so interested and thought others would enjoy reading. I also saw that you had already given permission for others to link to you through your button, so I assumed it would be ok. If you would rather not be listed there, please just let me know! God bless your work and family!

Unknown said...

Cute story! Kind of gross but.. oh and I see Bethany in the background there don't I?
Where is that little Jayde!? I just love her chubby little hand there on the table.

Anonymous said...

Jayde, I don't know you, but your story is hilarious!!! I've eaten some interesting things in life, but I've never had the opportunity to try worms. Very impressive!