Thursday, May 28, 2009

"It's not just a hair color, it's a state of mind."

(With my grand daughter)


It has been six months since my last visit to the dermatologist and yesterday was the DAY.

I had three large lesions burned off. They are about the size of a quarter. Seven smaller which were scattered about my limbs were also burned off. I had my eyelids 'shaved' and burned. I now have what appears to be a black left eye, in the nice, bright purple stage this morning, and to a lesser degree , my right eye is swollen as well.

The cost of being a red head in the tropics.

Speaking of red heads, did you know we are actually becoming extinct? If you are a red head, I am sure this alarms you as much as it does me! I already knew I was a mutant, but now I am an endangered species! I read the terrible news that redheads are becoming extinct!


The reason, according to scientists at the independent institute in England, which studies all sorts of hair problems, is that just 4 percent of the world's population carries the red-hair gene. The gene is recessive and therefore diluted when carriers produce children with people who have the dominant brown-hair gene.
Dr. John Gray's often publicized explanation of his foundation's findings: "The way things are going, red hair will either be extremely rare or extinct by the end of the century."


(Age 17)

"Redheads are less than 1% of the world's population. Now that is a minority! And, I thought, one that should qualify me for school scholarships or something like that."
-Becky McAlpine

"The highest percentage of natural redheads in the world is in Scotland (13%), followed closely by Ireland with 10%. In the US, about 2% of the population are natural redheads."


"I do believe my redheadedness plays a huge part in who I am. If I were a blonde or brunette, I would be an entirely different person."

"We redheads are a minority, we tend to notice each other - you know, and notice our identity."
-Juliann Moore, actress


"A face without freckles is like a night without stars."

"If you want trouble... find yourself a redhead."



If you are fortunate enough to be a red head or know a red head, you will enjoy these jokes( hehehe)



What do you call a woman who knows where her husband is every night?

A redhead!



What's safer: a redhead or a piranha?
The piranha. They only attack in schools.

How do you get a redhead's mood to change?
Wait 10 seconds

What do you call a Redhead with an attitude?
Normal

Only two things are necessary to keep a redhead happy.
One is to let her think she is having her own way,
and the other is to let her have it.


How do you know when a redhead has been using a computer?
There's a hammer embedded in the monitor!


Why do redheads think they're special?
It's amazing what arrogance and a lack of sensitivity will do for your ego...

What's the advantage of a blonde vs. a redhead...?
At least you can ignore the blonde safely...


Q: Why didn't Indians scalp redheads?
A. They knew better.

(age 12)

"You'd find it easier to be bad than good if you had red hair," said Anne reproachfully. "People who haven't red hair don't know what trouble is."
-Anne to Marilla in Anne of Green Gables

"Ruadh gu brath!"
Scots gaelic for "Red heads forever!"

22 comments:

~~Deby said...

....welll.....we could ALL be redheads...and I have been before..but...to hear of your demise as a population..well...the Lord must have HIS reasons..LOL..
deby

Anonymous said...

Amen and amen!

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the dermatology stuff. Sounds painful.

I like redheads. Always surprised me I didn't marry one.

Yekwana Man said...

Amen and amen! (you can tell who the guys are that are married to redheads)

Betty said...

hahaha, it´s good to laugh about yourself!

tascha said...

:D
I know that there is a redhaired gene in my family history... and I've always wanted a redheaded baby... but thus far, blonde and brown have prevailed...
I LOVE red hair!! :)

Anonymous said...

Fiery sums it up nicely...

Rosie Cochran said...

Becoming extinct... . Just think of how valuable that makes you! (And remind your hubby so!)

Kathy said...

Hope you're feeling better after that visit to the doctor! Man, I hope you rested too. Cute post about redheads! One of my grandmothers (who was 100% Croatian) was a redhead, but I never knew it (her hair was gray from my earliest memories and her younger pictures are black & white of course!) until one of my cousins' had a baby with red hair! Grandma was estatic and told everyone who would listen, "Finally someone has my hair! My hair! My beautiful hair! None of my kids did, none of my grandkids did, and none of my great-grandkids until this one! Finally!" :) If it doesn't continue with his kids, it will become extinct in our family too! Yours is beautiful by the way!

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Extinct, huh? WOW. I see redheads all over the place. Maybe they're dying their hair...

I think you look beautiful!

Unknown said...

Didn´t know that Red heads were going extinct!
you are so funny, hilarious and endangered! that may not be a good combination.
I always wanted Red hair. It´s the only other color I have ever wanted to be. but well, not brave enough to dye it that color now. jeje. it would probably turn out burgandy. LOL

Harry said...

You're a minority, but if you can convince society that you're an "oppressed" minority, you've got it made.

By the way, my wife has occasionally been a redhead.

Z said...

you get prettier and prettier..
SUCH a fun post!
Harry made me laugh out LOUD..thanks, harry (appropriate name, by the way!!!)

xxxxxxxxxxx z

Unknown said...

Knowing my sister and brother as red heads, I hate hearing that you may go extinct! The jokes suit you well! Thanks for the laughs!

Unknown said...

Loved Bro. Riveiro and Clint's comments! I had forgotten Adam was married to a redhead!

Dawn said...

I don't know many true redheads. Great post.

Thanks for sharing the story about your runaway past!

groovyoldlady said...

I've always longed to have lovely, thick auburn hair.

Instead, I get thin, wispy and silver.

*sigh*

CrimeSceneFairy said...

Aw, I'm sorry you're becoming extinct....lol i've never said that before...ehm, I personally love red hair....I dunno about redheads ;) but i'm just kidding I have 3 redhead friends including you. I love em. =)

Cathy Quigley said...

Howdy! A friend of mine named Tammy Coates sent me a link to your blog! I'm a fellow redhead and have had my share of "skin problems". Yes, I agree with you that redheads are disappearing. What are left are mostly dye jobs; which, if you are a true redhead, you can spot a mile away!!! Thank God for true redheads!!!! I have 3 boys and none of them are redheaded, but I have a friend who is redheaded and has 5 redheaded kids! I will be back to visit and read your blogs. Have a blessed day!! Cathy Roberts Quigley (on facebook) My email is...texascoltsfan18@yahoo.com

MightyMom said...

I always wondered how you faired ;-) living so close to the equator for so long...

Ryan said...

A rare breed for sure.

Janice: AKA Nanny said...

My mother was a red head, dark auburn. I always wanted a redheaded child but, they were blond haired children and now all brown haired adults.

I enjoy your blog. Keep up the good work.