Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Personal Update

Upon our return from Ciudad del Este, I found myself not doing too well. These last few days have been difficult and painful because of the sciatica pain which I inflamed with all our travel and walking. I have had to be on some strong pain medications and for that reason have not written anything here but merely posted photos and re posts.

I made the mistake of posting while on Vicodyn once and I wont ever do that again!!! Actually, it was only a comment I left on another blog. Next thing I know... well, never mind ,that is a story best left untold.

Sunday was a typical day here as Mother's Day is Friday, always being on May 15th here. Sunday night my husband was able to baptize 6 new converts. There was a mishap involving the baptistry though. It seems no one thought to begin filling it in time for it to be full for service, one of those times when being Baptist and practicing baptism by immersion can be a problem!

What to do? The men called the local fire department and they came out with their truck and filled the baptistry for the church! Not something you see everyday!


We had to start back to school after our week off for the trip. It is always hard to get back on track after a break. I have finally completed Jewel's high school transcripts for her college application. I also had to do a lot of work as it seems here immunization records were left behind in the file cabinet in the jungle. We were unable to get everything out and had assumed we would be able to return one day.

Monday was spent with the family. My husband made a steak for me. A HUGE steak. It was delicious. Brian,Jackie and grand daughters came over for a movie night. We had nachos and Jackie made a cheese cake.

We watched Fireproof. We had all been waiting to see this movie and we were not disappointed. I enjoyed it very much and it was well done. I admire Kirk Cameron and have for a long time. A little family secret here, but a family member of mine was a co star of his back on 'Growing Pains', until she was fired.

Fireproof had such a powerful message. We are showing it in Spanish to some couples tomorrow night here at our house as well as sharing the book 'The Love Dare' which, thankfully, is also available in Spanish.

I am curious, have any of you seen the movie?
If so, what did you think of it?



About FIREPROOF At work, inside burning buildings, Capt. Caleb Holt lives by the old firefighter's adage: Never leave your partner behind. At home, in the cooling embers of his marriage, he lives by his own rules.

Growing up, Catherine Holt always dreamed of marrying a loving, brave firefighter...just like her daddy. Now, after seven years of marriage, Catherine wonders when she stopped being "good enough" for her husband.

Regular arguments over jobs, finances, housework, and outside interests have readied them both to move on to something with more sparks.

As the couple prepares to enter divorce proceedings, Caleb's father challenges his son to commit to a 40-day experiment: "The Love Dare." Wondering if it's even worth the effort, Caleb agrees-for his father's sake more than for his marriage. When Caleb discovers the book's daily challenges are tied into his parents' newfound faith, his already limited interest is further dampened.

While trying to stay true to his promise, Caleb becomes frustrated time and again. He finally asks his father, "How am I supposed to show love to somebody who constantly rejects me?"

When his father explains that this is the love Christ shows to us, Caleb makes a life-changing commitment to love God. Andówith God's helpóhe begins to understand what it means to truly love his wife.

But is it too late to fireproof his marriage? His job is to rescue others. Now Caleb Holt is ready to face his toughest job ever...rescuing his wife's heart.

18 comments:

Joy said...

Yes, I saw the movie and loved it. I'm so impressed with that church in Albany, GA doing movies of this quality. Loved Facing the Giants too.

Can't believe the fireman came out and filled the Baptistry. Talk about bringing in the reinforcments.

Praise God for those 6 new souls.

I use to watch Growing Pains now I'm so curious as to who was on the show that you know.

Hope and pray your pain subsides soon.

Joy

Betty said...

No, I haven´t seen it, but now I will look for it.
Hope you are feeling better this week!

Brenda said...

Cheesecake and nachos sounds delicous :) Bob really enjoyed that movie as well.

Dawn said...

I don't normally go to the theater, but went to the movie the first day it was out. I was deeply moved, and have great admiration for Kirk Cameron - especially when I learned that he would not kiss anyone but his wife and they dubbed her in on that romantic scene in the fire station.

I blogged one time about the picture that was on the beginning of the show for a couple of seasons - the family in front of the log cabin is of my husband's great grandparents - the picture was hanging in the state museum of Wisconsin. Amazing. I'm anxious for the rest of your story!

redneck preacher said...

Fireproof was awesome. Amazing that if is so popular.

Posting on vicodyn is like when I took Sarah to her job at McDonalds. She was working a summer during college. I was bus sitting a missionary bus while he was on the field.

Sarah needed to get to work. We had no car to use. Tim would not care if I drove the bus, (I was supposed to start it now and then). Sarah was not probably not a good judge on how the vicodyn was affecting me. It was only a short freeway drive. My tooth was not hurting. etc etc.

Anyway I talked myself into driving that huge bus and Sarah prayed all the way. I made it back without dying or meeting a cop. God is good and I never did that again. I'll bet your post was fun.

HTOITA

The Local Malcontent said...

Both of us want you to feel better really soon, JMom, and really liked this post, better than the 24 Ants post....

We/I've made you a get well very soon post, at the LMC!

Unknown said...

Everybody I know and their brothers have seen it, but not us! We are always the last to do or try anything! I really want to watch it.

Hope your back is better! Vicodin doesn't do much for me but oh boy, you should see/hear me on valium!

tascha said...

My husband and I enjoyed the movie immensely.... and I would watch it a second (and more) time, though probably not 6 times in one week as one lady at my church told me she did!!
glad you are able to post again... pray you get all your records straight and your pain goes away

WomanHonorThyself said...

feel better girl!:)

MightyMom said...

ooo girl, I don't envy you!

I had sciatica with all 3 pregnancies...fortunately it resolved as soon as the BABY quit sitting on the nerves! but wow does that hurt!


I haven't seen Fireproof but have heard many good things about it.

Anonymous said...

Hope you are feeling better. Pain is no fun!

We saw the movie when it came out in the states. It was a great message for all married couples.

Easter Sunday we got to hear Kirk Cameron give his testimony. He's a great guy and I have to admit, I loved him on Growing Pains.

Starla said...

I've seen Fireproof it is a great movie. My mom really liked it and if she likes a movie then it is good.

Michelle D. Argyle said...

I have not seen that movie, but it looks great! No worries about comments on blogs while you're on meds. Typos are normal here in the blogging world!

I hope you feel better soon. My prayers are with you.

Kathy said...

Haven't seen it yet, but now it's on our list! Hope you're feeling well and can enjoy Mother's Day in Paraguay. Thanks for the reminder that it's tomorrow......!(writing this on Thurs.)

Unknown said...

What a nice family time :o)

I haven't seen "Fireproof", but have heard great reviews.

Thank the Lord for the fire department! They've bailed us out a time or two, as well. One time we were without water for a few weeks, and Daniel called them out to fill our depositos.

I hope your back is better!!

Unknown said...

Intended to see it in the theater, but never got around to it.

Then our church showed the 'I want a divorce' scene on the big screen when it came out on video, and we went out and purchased it right after church.

I NEVER do that without seeing the movie first.

But we loved Facing the Giants (and Flywheel, too!) We now own all three.

Decided to work through the Love Dare book too. It starts out easy and gets pretty hard. But it's a lot easier when you are a believer.

Sorry you are feeling bad. My SIL has chronic sciatica from an auto accident. It puts her in agony. Hope things get better for you.

Webutante said...

I'm just getting by here after several days on the road and saw this post.

Yes, I've seen this movie and have bought it in DVD for my library. It's simply a wonderful and heartening piece of work though there are some tough parts to watch and get through.

After watching the movie I went to our local Christian bookstore and bought the Love Dare book which accompanies the movie and reading it. Thought it was truly inspired.

Bottom line is that I think everyone, married, divorced or single needs to see this movie and read the book. So many wonderful things to do to help us love well, and in the image of Christ.

But for marrieds it is one of the best resources I've ever seen.

Glenn B said...

Not seen the movie but wanted to say I hope you feel better soon.

All the best,
GB