Tuesday, May 22, 2007

A Rude Awakening! (Another Jungle Jolly!)




When we were newly arrived in the village, I came down with malaria. I had been sick several days, (weeks?) with high fever and pain, followed by some hallucinations. It was hard to know what was really happening around me from the hallucinations. Often times, in the village, the real life happenings were more bazaar than the dreams!!

Imagine having every bone in your body aching like the worse flue you can imagine...X 10!! And no bed, no bathroom, no where to do the laundry but the river, still cooking over a fire, etc.

One day, I was feverish and in my hammock in the mud hut we had been loaned to use until we finished building our own mud hut. The doors did not lock, so there was no way to keep people out of the house. I was wiped out and fell into a deep sleep.

I began to wake up as I became aware of something rubbing my arm. As I strained to fight the fatigue and open my eyes, I realized my legs were also being touched. I could hear some low voices nearby speaking a language I did not understand.

As I raised my heavy eyelids, I saw four faces bent down over my hammock, looking me over. They were Sanama Indian woman from the next village. Each had their face painted and were adorned with the sticks they use to beautify themselves. They also had a roll of tobacco placed between their bottom lips and lower teeth. This gives the teeth a green, slimy look and produces a green dribble which they spit out on the floor every few seconds.

As my eyes took in the sight, I screamed!

The four, poor women, jumped! Screamed! Dropped their tobacco and walking sticks...and ran out the door! Screaming all the way through the village as they headed to their canoe!

I must have been just as scary to them as they had been to me. To add insult to injury, all the men in the village came running in to check on why I and the women had screamed, expecting to find a jaguar or something equally dangerous!

NO, just me sitting in my hammock trying to figure out if it was real...or another hallucination!

24 comments:

Flavin Groude said...

Great Blog

Saur♥Kraut said...

WHOA! I would've done the same thing! I have close relatives who were missionaries in similar places for years. It takes a special, and very tough, type of person to do what you're doing. Hope you're feeling better! God bless!

Portrait of Peter said...

I really do think you should look at writing a novel, you have so many stories which would help educate so many people around the world.

A wonderful post - thank you for sharing.

Quill of Bill said...

Wow, what an exciting story. I think I would have screamed in a similar manner. You truly are in God's will. You and Your family will be in my prayers. May God continue to fill your life with His love and mercy.

Quill of Bill said...

Wow, great story. You could definitely consolidate each one of these into a great book.
You and your family will be in our prayers.

WomanHonorThyself said...

good Lord girl...you are one brave woman!!!

Bob's Blog said...

What an experience. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I haven't gotten to read your blog yet today, but I needed a smile and you just gave me one with your comment on my blog. I love you Rita!

Tina said...

that was hilarious! i can just picture thw whole scene in my mind!

Anonymous said...

That is too funny! How they the sticks through all those parts...ouch!

Anonymous said...

I would have screamed, too!! What amazing experiences you have had there!!!

Donnetta said...

Oh my goodness... I can only imagine! I so enjoy reading the stories of your days in the jungle!!

Obob said...

wow is all I can say. As a teacher, we borrow from everywhere. I would love to tell that story to my students. They'll get a kick out it.

Rita Loca said...

yankee biz, welcome!

Quill of Bill, thanks and I do hope to write a book.

Obob; Tell the story. You may find a few more they would enjoy in my archives

Anonymous said...

Wow what an awakening!!

I am sure your red hair and white skin was quite intriguing to them, too!!

Mishel said...

I love your stories! : )

Portrait of Peter said...

Thank You Rita - if you cut and paste the following site on to your url

www.bringmadeleinehome.com

On this site - if you go to News Updates - you will see the latest coverage via video link as well as the parents statements to the media.

Bless You and your wonderful daughter too.

All Blog Spots said...

Great blog, keep the good work going :)

All Blog Spots said...

Great blog, keep the good work going :)

Daniel said...

I just found your blog and enjoyed it a lot. Your malaria story reminded me of ones from missionaries I know in Africa. I was also encouraged to read about how God is moving you to a new ministry! I would like to put a link to your blog on mine. Here is my my link: http://reflections-lifeandgod.blogspot.com/
Praying for your recovery and move.

Anonymous said...

Wow, sounds like a hard experience. And I can barely stand a post-nasal drip. Puts things in perspective.

Gayle said...

It certainly does put things in perspective! WOW!

Yes, you are a very special person. I also can't believe I don't have you linked. That's an oversight I intend to fix as soon as I click off of your blog. You are doing good things, but I'll bet you will be glad to get home! :)

Rita Loca said...

Herald, welcome.

Anonymous said...

Always a pleasure to read smart people